Date de naissance 2.1.1928 à Arpasel, Transilvania, Roumanie
Date de décès 2.10.2002 à Târgu Mures, Transilvania, Roumanie
Tiberiu Olah or Tibor Oláh (2 January 1928 2 October 2002) was a Romanian-Hungarian composer, teacher and musicologist.
Tiberiu Olah was born in Arpad, Bihor, and began his studies at the Cluj Conservatory in 1946. From 1949-54 he studied at the Moscow Conservatory, and in 1958 he took a position as a lecturer and later as a professor at the Bucharest Conservatory. Notable students include Doina Rotaru, Horaiu Rdulescu and Christian Wilhelm Berger.
Olah was a member of the Csodamalom Bábszínház Puppet Theater where he acted as a puppeteer. He received grants for research in musicology and presented studies and papers internationally. He also published reviews and articles in journals including Studii de Muzicologie, Muzica, România Literar and Melos. He died in Târgu Mure.
Olah was known for popularizing the oratorio. Selected compositions include:
- Cantata for women's choir, two flutes, string and percussion instruments 1956, Csango popular texts, translated by Nina Cassian
- Prind visele aripi 1959, cantata for mixed choir and orchestra
- Lumina lui Lenin 1959, cantata for male choir and string orchestra on lyrics by Nina Cassian
- O stânc se înal 1959, cantata for mixed choir and orchestra lyrics by Maria Banus
- The Galaxy of Man 1960, oratorio for reciter, high voice, mixed choir and orchestra by Vladimir Mayakovsky lyrics
- Symphony 1956
- Michael the Brave 1971, symphonic suite from the film music
- Homonymous Crescendo 1972, piece for orchestra
- Condemnation 1976, music video
His music has been recorded and issued on media including:
- [Electrecord ST-ECE 02941] Invocations III, Harmonies IV, Sonata for Clarinet solo, Sonata for Flute solo, Space and Rhythm (LP, 1986)
- [Electrecord ST-CS 0201] Daniel Kientzy - Stockhausen / Cavanna / Harrison / Olah / Ioachimescu- Saxophone Contemporain (LP, 1986)
- Romanian Academy Award, 1965
- Film Music Award for White Pelican, 1966
- International Prize for Koussewitzky, USA, 1967
- Grand Prize of the Union of Composers and Musicologists of Romania for All Creation, 1993
- 29 March 2011, V mai amintii de... Tiberiu Olah
- Strimple, Nick (2002), Choral Music in the Twentieth Century, Amadeus