Date de naissance 16.8.1949 à Washington, DC, MD, Etats-Unis d Amérique
Date de décès 15.3.2014 à Ann Arbor, MI, Etats-Unis d Amérique
Links iggypop.org (Anglais)
Scott Randolph Asheton (August 16, 1949 March 15, 2014) was an American musician, best known as the drummer for the rock band the Stooges.
Asheton was born in Washington, D.C. and moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan with his family at the age of 14. He co-formed the Stooges in 1967 along with his older brother Ron Asheton, Iggy Pop and Dave Alexander. The original incarnation of the band released two LPs on Elektra Records before moving through several lineup changes, releasing a third LP on Columbia Records in 1973 and disbanding the following year.
During the Stooges' separation he was among the few ex-members to play again with Pop, with the mini-reunion occurring during a 1978 European tour. Asheton also played drums with Scott Morgan in different bands, among which were the Scott Morgan Band, Scots Pirates and most notably Sonic's Rendezvous Band. He then went on to play drums touring in a late incarnation of Destroy All Monsters, under the name Dark Carnival. He also recorded extensively with Sonny Vincent, playing drums on four full studio albums along with Captain Sensible on bass, as well as making special guest appearances on other Vincent releases. In addition to recording with Sonny, Asheton toured the U.S. and Europe with Sonny and Steve Baise (on bass) of the Devil Dogs. The Stooges reformed in 2003, and have remained active ever since, releasing a fourth album in 2007. Following the death of Ron Asheton, the group worked later with guitarist James Williamson. Other than Iggy Pop, Asheton was the only consistent member of the Stooges after the death of his brother, guitarist Ron Asheton, in 2009.
After the Hellfest Festival show of June 17, 2011, in France, he suffered a severe stroke, that caused his temporary retirement from live duty and was replaced by Larry Mullins (aka Toby Dammit) who had already played in Iggy Pop's band in the 1990s. He died of a heart attack in March 2014 at the age of 64.
- European Tour 1978 with Iggy Pop: from Gary Rasmussen's clippings at the EldarEntertainment.com website.
- Collaboration with Scott Morgan, in between Stooges incarnations: Scott Morgan Music website.
- Asheton's involvement in the "Dark Carnival" project: review at i94bar.com website
- Andy Greene (2011-09-01). Stooges' Scott Asheton recovering form illness and Iggy Pop on James Williamson | Music News. Rolling Stone. Retrieved on 2014-03-17.
- Ratliff, Ben, Scott Asheton, Drummer in the Stooges, Is Dead at 64, March 18, 2014.
- Andy Greene. Iggy and the Stooges Drummer Scott Asheton Dead at 64. Rolling Stone. Retrieved on 2014-03-17.
- Profile at NNDB.com
- Scott Asheton at the Internet Movie Database
- The Stooges Guitarist Ron Asheton Found Dead at 60
|Iggy Pop | Ron Asheton | Scott Asheton | Mike Watt | Steve MacKay|
|Former members: | Dave Alexander | James Williamson|
|Albums: The Stooges | Fun House | Raw Power | The Weirdness|
|Live Albums: Metallic K.O. | Live In Detroit | Telluric Chaos|
|Other releases: Night of the Destruction | 1970: The Complete Fun House Sessions | Heavy Liquid|