LMFAO is an American hip hop duo consisting of rappers, producers, dancers, and DJs Redfoo (Stefan Kendal Gordy, born September 3, 1975) and his nephew SkyBlu  (Skyler Husten Gordy, born August 23, 1986). The group formed in 2006 in Los Angeles, California. Redfoo is also the son of music mogul Berry Gordy, SkyBlu a grandson. Their music incorporates a theme of partying and drinking, and the group commonly refers to their music style as "party rock".
2006-07: Formation and career beginnings
Redfoo (Stefan Kendal Gordy) and SkyBlu (Skyler Gordy) both grew up in the affluent Los Angeles neighborhood Pacific Palisades, where they formed the group LMFAO in 2006. The duo has said its original name was Sexe Dude (Read as Sexy Dudes) and the two subsequently changed it at the advice of their grandmother. They signed to record company Interscope in November 2008.
2008-09: Rise to fame and "Party Rock"
LMFAO released Party Rock EP on the iTunes music store on July 1, 2008, and released their full album on July 7, 2009. The album charted at number 33 on the Billboard 200 and number two on the U.S Dance Chart. Los Angeles Times described Party Rock as "14 virtually interchangeable odes to night life."
Their first single was "I'm in Miami Bitch" or "I'm In Miami Trick" (clean version), which was released in December 2008, and peaked at No.51 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No.37 in Canada.
In early 2009 a little known DJ/producer 'DJ Inphinity' created a bootleg using the Silvio Ecomo remix of DJ Chuckie's 2008 hit "Let the Bass Kick" and the acapella of LMFAO, creating "Bass Kick in Miami". The bootleg was spread across the internet and became a massive success at the Miami Winter Music Conference 2009. Weeks later the song became the theme song for the E! television show Kourtney and Khloé Take Miami and "Get Crazy" was used for Jersey Shore in 2009.
LMFAO were a featured storyline on MTV's The Real World: Cancun in August 2009, which covered the band's appearance in Cancun during 2009 Spring break.
2010-11: International breakthrough and "Sorry for Party Rocking"
In mid 2010, they were featured in David Guetta's song "Gettin' Over You", which was an international hit, peaking top ten in eleven countries and three of them at number one, including in the United Kingdom. It also peaked 31 on the U.S. Hot 100 and 12 in Canada. The duo then recorded their second album, Sorry for Party Rocking in the remainder of 2010 and released it on June 17, 2011, in the U.S. The first single taken from the album, "Party Rock Anthem", features British singer Lauren Bennett and producer GoonRock. The song is so far the most successful of their career, peaking at number-one in the United States, Canada, the UK, and over ten other countries, as well as the top ten in many others. The second single from Sorry for Party Rocking was released on May 27, 2011, and is titled, "Champagne Showers," and it features English singer-songwriter Natalia Kills. The third single, "Sexy and I Know It", was released on October 3rd, 2011 and reached #1 on the iTunes charts worldwide and #1 on the Australian and Canadian Hot 100. On an Interview with the Irish Channel TG4, Redfoo stated that they are working on the video for their next single, Sorry for Party Rocking.
In February 2010, SkyBlu was involved in an altercation with politician Mitt Romney on an airplane during the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. The rapper stated that Romney attacked him from behind, putting a "vulcan grip" on his neck. SkyBlu was escorted off the plane as a result of the altercation and was booked on the next flight. The altercation was mentioned in a video showing SkyBlu being escorted off the aircraft by authorities where SkyBlu and Redfoo give an account of the incident.
Also in 2011, LMFAO embarked on their first Asian tour. They performed in Singapore; Manila, Philippines; Taipei, Taiwan, and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, among other cities. Also, on June 30, 2011, LMFAO performed a set on the Isle of MTV 2011 Malta Special on the Fosos (Granaries) in Floriana, Malta, in front of a crowd of 50,000, together with Far East Movement and Snoop Dogg.
Furthermore, the group LMFAO is focused on growing their Party Rock clothing line and is also one of the opening acts for American singer Kesha's "Get Sleazy Tour", along with Spank Rock and Natalia Kills, for the third and fifth legs of the tour in 2011. On August 13, 2011, they opened for Kesha at the St-Jean-sur-Richelieu hot air balloon festival in Quebec, Canada, attracting close to 100,000 fans.
On August 29, 2011, LMFAO filmed a video for their new single Sexy and I Know it in Venice Beach, California. Pornographic actor Ron Jeremy is featured in the video, which focuses thematically on male genitalia. Actors Simon Rex and Wilmer Valderama, playwright Daniel Kanengieter (as Shufflebot) and mixed martial artist Alistair Overeem also make cameo appearances. The song achieved similar success to Party Rock Anthem, topping charts all over the world.
The group guested on the first elimination show of the 13th series of Dancing with the Stars on September 20, 2011, which is broadcast live.
In October of 2011, LMFAO's song "Party Rock Anthem" was used in a Halloween house light show when a Southern California man timed lights to the popular song. After the YouTube video of the house went viral, even receiving news coverage, the duo visited the house and recorded a Kia commercial featuring the house.
LMFAO cites a vast range of different influences, such as rappers like Tupac Shakur, hip hop groups like The Black Eyed Peas, R&B artists like James Brown and Michael Jackson, and rock bands such as The Beatles and Led Zeppelin. Both are devoted fans of Michael Jackson and they use many of his dance steps in their dance routines. Also, LMFAO cites taking a huge inspiration from Adam Goldstein, better known as DJ AM, who first got them introduced to electronic music. Notably, Redfoo is a former brother-in-law of Jermaine Jackson, Michael Jackson's older brother, and is also an uncle of Jermaine Jackson, Jr. In 2007, LMFAO attended the Winter Music Conference in Miami, Florida, which the duo says was an experience that inspired their musical and creative style.
Redfoo is a former day trader and has been featured on CNBC's Mad Money with Jim Cramer.
- Main article: LMFAO discography
- Party Rock (2009)
- Sorry for Party Rocking (2011)
- TBA (2012)
Awards and nominations
|2009||Grammy Awards||"Best Dance Album"||Party Rock||Nominated|
|2010||Hip-Hop Nation Awards||"Best Rap Song with Group"||"Shots" featuring Lil Jon||Nominated|
|"Best Rap Group"||LMFAO||Nominated|
|"Best New Artist"||LMFAO||Nominated|
|2011||"Best Rap Record "||"Party Rock Anthem" ft. Lauren Bennett & GoonRock||Won|
|"Best Rap Song with Group "||"Party Rock Anthem" ft. Lauren Bennett & GoonRock||Nominated|
|"Best Rap Group"||LMFAO||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Summer Song||"Party Rock Anthem"||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best Choreography||"Party Rock Anthem"||Nominated|
|American Music Awards||Favorite Pop/Rock Band/Duo/Group||LMFAO||Nominated|
|MTV European Music Awards||Best New||LMFAO||Nominated|
|2012||Peoples Choice Awards||Favorite Song of the Year||"Party Rock Anthem"||Pending|
|Favorite Music Video of the Year||"Party Rock Anthem"||Pending|
|Wikipedia books are collections of articles that can be downloaded or ordered in print.|
- Gordy family
- 1.0 1.1 Redfoo's IMDb Page. IMDb. Retrieved on February 10, 2011.
- Chareunsy, Don. Photos: Kourtney Kardashian, Lo Bosworth promote new endeavors. Las Vegas Sun. Retrieved on April 19, 2011.
- Caramanica, Jon, Early-Morning Party With Club Rap and Female Audience Participation, New York Times. URL accessed on April 10, 2011.
- DeClerk, Hannah. Q&A Redfoo, from LMFAO. University Daily Kansan. Retrieved on April 10, 2011.
- McCabe. Yo Happy Birthday SkyBlu!. KAMP-FM. Retrieved on April 22, 2011.
- Karmali, Ziyah. Interview: LMFAO. Shave Magazine. Retrieved on July 8, 2011.
- LMFAO Los Angeles Times Review. Interscope.com. Retrieved on April 25, 2011.
- Trust, Gary, LMFAO Brings the 'Party' to Top of Hot 100, Billboard, Nielsen Business Media, Inc, 2011-07-06. URL accessed on 2011-07-06.
- Singles Release Diary Music. Digital Spy. Retrieved on 2011-10-05.
- Is Vulcan Grip Rapper Sky Blu, Who Tussled With Mitt Romney, the Nerdiest Hip-Hop Artist Ever?, February 19, 2010. URL accessed on October 19, 2011.
- Mitt Romney's Plane Fight Was Against LMFAO, Trick!
- Orr, Jimmy, Rapper Sky Blu says Mitt Romney used 'Vulcan grip' on him in plane fiasco, February 19, 2011. URL accessed on October 19, 2011.
- LMFAO Live in Malaysia, Philippines & Singapore. mistazam.com. Retrieved on April 22, 2011.
- Spectacular Isle of MTV on the Granaries. timesofmalta.com. Retrieved on July 2, 2011.
- LMFAO Sexy and I Know it Video and Interview. Yo! Venice!. Retrieved on 2011-10-05.
- The Kia Soul Shuffle Slam with LMFAO at Halloween House. Retrieved on November 11, 2011.
- 20 Questions: LMFAO (Bamboozle Festival). popmatters.com. Retrieved on April 19, 2011.
- LMFAO Interview. youtube. Retrieved on May 25, 2011.
- LMFAO Biography. artistdirect.com. Retrieved on April 22, 2011.
- LMFAO's Redfoo Tops Music and Stock Charts CNBC. August 19, 2011. Retrieved 2011-08-21.
- Official Site
- LMFAO Dance off and walk out of Interview
- LMFAO's social networking site Party Rock People
- LMFAO blog
- LMFAO at MySpace
- LMFAO (group) at YouTube
- LMFAO on Twitter
- LMFAO Italian FanClub
|Redfoo · Sky Blu|
|Studio albums||Party Rock|
|Extended Plays||Party Rock EP|
|Singles||"I'm in Miami Bitch" ·"Shots" ·"La La La" · "Yes"|
|Featured singles||"Shooting Star" ·"Gettin' Over You"|