Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo
Monte-Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra
The Monte-Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra (French: Orchestre Philharmonique de Monte-Carlo) is the main orchestra in the principality of Monaco. The orchestra gives concerts primarily in the Auditorium Rainier III, but also performs at the Salle des Princes Grimaldi Forum.
The orchestra was founded in 1856 and gave its first concert on 14 December 1856, with an ensemble of 15 musicians, at the "Maison de jeux" (the future casino). By 1874, the orchestra had increased in size to 70 musicians. In 1953, Prince Rainier III had ordered the renaming of the ensemble to L'Orchestre National de l'Opéra de Monte-Carlo. It acquired its current name in 1980, again through Rainier III.
The orchestra's most recent principal conductor was Yakov Kreizberg, who was named to the post in October 2007, effective with the 2009-2010 season, for an initial contract of 5 years. He held the post until his death in March 2011.
- Paul Paray (1928–1933)
- Henri Tomasi (1946–1947)
- Louis Frémaux (1956–1965)
- Igor Markevitch (1967–1972)
- Lovro von Matai (1972–1979)
- Lawrence Foster (1980–1990)
- Gianluigi Gelmetti (1990–1992)
- James DePreist (1994–1998)
- Marek Janowski (2000–2006)
- Yakov Kreizberg (2009-2011)