Lahti Symphony Orchestra
Lahti Symphony Orchestra
The Lahti Symphony Orchestra (Sinfonia Lahti) is a Finnish orchestra, based in the city of Lahti. It was founded in 1910 and placed under the control of the Lahti municipality in 1949. In Finland the orchestra performs in the Sibelius Hall, while it also performs abroad in concert halls and festivals. Kalevi Aho was appointed composer-in-residence for the orchestra in 1992, and they have recorded many of his recent works.
Past chief conductors of the orchestra have included Ulf Söderblom (1985-1988). Osmo Vänskä became principal guest conductor of the orchestra in 1985, and chief conductor in 1988. During his tenure, he and the orchestra have achieved wide acclaim, particularly with performances and recordings of Sibelius. Other recordings by Vänskä and the orchestra include music of Robert Kajanus and Einojuhani Rautavaara. Vänskä concluded his tenure as Chief Conductor in 2008 and became Conductor Laureate of the orchestra.
Jukka-Pekka Saraste served as artistic advisor to the orchestra from August 2008 to July 2011. In April 2009, the orchestra announced the appointment of Okko Kamu as its next chief conductor, as of the autumn of 2011, after the conclusion of Saraste's scheduled tenure as artistic advisor. Kamu's initial contract was through the spring of 2014. In November 2012, the orchestra announced the extension of Kamu's contract through the end of July 2016.
- Martti Similä (1951-1957)
- Urpo Pesonen (1959-1978)
- Jouko Saari (1978-1984)
- Ulf Söderblom (1985-1988)
- Osmo Vänskä (1988-2008)
- Okko Kamu (2011-present)
- Antero Manninen (ex-Apocalyptica)
- Andrew Clements, Sibelius: The Oceanides; Fragments from a Suite for Orchestra; Cassazione etc: Lahti Symphony/ Vanska, The Guardian, 2003-05-23. URL accessed on 2009-08-22.
- Andrew Clements, Sibelius: The Origin of Fire; Rakastava; Sandels; etc, Hakala/ Nyman/ YL Male Voice Choir/ Lahti SO/ Vanska, The Guardian, 2007-03-16. URL accessed on 2009-08-22.
- Andrew Clements, Sibelius Edition Vol 1: Tone Poems, Lahti SO/ Vanska/ Gothenburg SO/ Jarvi, The Guardian, 2007-10-26. URL accessed on 2009-08-22.
- Andrew Clements, Kajanus: Finnish Rhapsody; Kullervo's Funeral March; Sinfonietta; Aino: Lahti Symphony/ Vanska, The Guardian, 2004-06-18. URL accessed on 2009-08-22.
- Andrew Clements, Rautavaara: Violin Concerto; Symphony No 8: Kuusisto/ Lahti Symphony/ Vänskä, The Guardian, 2004-07-23. URL accessed on 2009-08-22.
- Sinfonia Lahti (28 April 2009). Okko Kamu to be principal conductor of the Lahti Symphony Orchestra from the autumn of 2011. Press release. Retrieved on 2009-08-22
- Sinfonia Lahti (19 November 2012). Okko Kamu to continue as principal conductor of the Lahti Symphony Orchestra until 2016. Press release. Retrieved on 2013-11-03
BIS liner notes.