born on 24/5/1962 in New York City, NY, United States
Ben Monder is an American jazz guitarist and composer. In addition to having released solo albums he has played as a sideman on more than a hundred albums. Critics have found the style of Monder's solo albums difficult to describe, though they praise his creative genius.
In 1995 he recorded his debut album, Flux, featuring drummer Jim Black and bassist Drew Gress. A 2001 recording (an improvisation recorded in a single day) with saxophone player Bill McHenry, Bloom, wasn't released until 2010. In between, he released a genre-bending solo album, Oceana (2005), and an album with pianist Chris Gistrin and drummer Dylan van der Schyff, The Distance (2006). In 2007, he recorded At Night with singer and electronic musician Theo Bleckmann and drummer Satoshi Takeishi.
- Hydra (Sunnyside, 2013)
- Bloom, with[Bill McHenry (Sunnyside, 2009)
- At Night, with Theo Bleckmann Songlines, 2007)
- Oceana (Sunnyside, 2005)
- Excavation (Arabesque, 2000)
- No Boat, with Theo Bleckmann (Songlines, 1997)
- Dust (Arabesque, 1997)
- Flux (Songlines, 1995)
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Adler, David. Ben Monder: Biography. Allmusic. Archived from the original on 6 November 2010. Retrieved on 2010-12-11.
- Loewy, Steve. Flux: Review. Allmusic. Retrieved on 2010-12-11.
- Ben Monder Homepage
- Ben Monder on Blue Music Group