born on 19/6/1966 in Steinkjer, Nord-Trøndelag, Norway
Links www.siljenergaard.com (English)
Silje Nergaard (born 19 June 1966 in Steinkjer, Norway) is a Norwegian jazz vocalist and songwriter. She is one of the best-selling jazz artists on the official sales chart in Norway. She became known worldwide after the release of the international bestseller Tell Me Where You're Going, featuring Pat Metheny on guitar.
Nergaard entered the music scene at the age of 16, and her first hit single "Tell Me Where You're Going" made it to no. 1 in Japan as well as top 10 in Norway and other countries. Her album At First Light (2001) is the best-selling Norwegian jazz album ever recorded and entered the official sales chart in Norway at No. 1 in its first week. The album A Thousand True Stories, which Nergaard recorded with the Metropole Orchestra in 2008, was a great success in both Europe and Asia. Nergaard is one of the few Norwegian artists to have been commercially released all around the globe, on most continents and major music markets including Japan, Brazil, Germany, the United States, and the United Kingdom.
Nergaard has recorded and performed songs with Al Jarreau, Pat Metheny, Toots Thielemanns, and Morten Harket of A-ha. She has had Tord Gustavsen and Jarle Vespestad as two pillars in her bands. Vince Mendoza received a Grammy Award Nomination for the Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s) Award for the song "A Thousand True Stories" in 2011.
In the spring of 2012, Nergaard released her new album Unclouded, based on recordings with her two guitarists Hallgrim Bratberg and Håvar Bendiksen. It was released on March 9 in Norway and March 23 internationally. Nergaard has written 9 new songs for Unclouded and has two covers on this album: "Human" by The Killers and The Moon's a Harsh Mistress by Jimmy Webb. For Unclouded, Nergaard has also invited the American guitarist John Scofield to contribute along with Georg Wadenius, Knut Reiersrud, and Nils Petter Molvær, among others.
She is married to the singer Heine Totland.
- 1990: Tell Me Where You're Going (Sonet Grammofon), featuring Pat Metheny on the title tune
- 1991: Silje (Princess), featuring Morten Harket on "Where You Are"
- 1995: Cow on the Highway (Sonet Grammofon)
- 1995: Brevet (Kirkelig Kulturverksted)
- 1996: Hjemmefra (From Home) (Kirkelig Kulturverksted)
- 2000: Port of Call (EmArcy)
- 2001: At First Light (EmArcy), featuring Thomas Strønen, Arve Henriksen and Erle Totland Nergaard
- 2003: Nightwatch (EmArcy)
- 2007: Darkness Out of Blue (EmArcy)
- 2009: A Thousand True Stories (EmArcy)
- 2010: If I Could Wrap Up a Kiss (Sony)
- 2012: Unclouded (Sony)
- 2015: Chain of Days (OKeh/Sony)
- 2017: For You a Thousand Times (Sony)
- Compilation album
- 2004: Easy Living (Music Marketeers), VT Wonen Presents
- 2005: Be Still My Heart - The Essential (EmArcy)
- Live album
- 2005: Live in Koln (EmArcy)
- 2006: Your Guide to the North Sea Jazz Festival (North Sea Jazz Festival), various artists - on the track «We Should Be Happier» in duo with Al Jarreau
- "Silje Nergaard Biography - Store Norske Leksikon".
- Alspaugh, Emmanuelle (2006-02-07). Fodor's Norway. Random House Digital, Inc. pp. 52–. ISBN 9781400016143. Retrieved June 5, 2012.
- "Tell Me Where You're Going". (feat. Pat Metheny) - Last.fm
- Mergner, Lee (2010-12-02). "Jazz-related Grammy Nominations Announced". JazzTimes. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Silje Nergaard". Discographien.de. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
- "Various – Your Guide To The North Sea Jazz Festival 2006". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2013-10-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silje Nergaard.|