born on 28/2/1956
Graeme Duffin (born 28 February 1956) has played guitar for the Scottish pop band Wet Wet Wet since 1983. However he has never officially been a band member, nor has he appeared in band photographs or interviews. The band were suspected of keeping him hidden for image purposes but it may have been Duffin's own choice due to his stammer. He is a Christian.
In an online article by Graeme Smith (dated 23 March 2005), Duffin is quoted as saying,
- "We are basically social animals and we have a real need to feel that we belong, and stammering, if it makes us feel somehow different from everybody else around us, can lead to a real feeling of isolation. I feel the only way forward for adults who suffer chronically from stammering in the long term is to be able to face it head-on with dignity and courage. That is very, very difficult if you are trying to do that in isolation."
In an interview with British Stammering Association trustee Eddie Phillips (Speaking Out, Autumn 2004, page 3) Duffin describes his experience of stammering severely during a radio interview in which he was attempting to discuss his work with Wet Wet Wet:
- "I blocked on every syllable of every word, and they couldn't use the interview. I came out of the studio exhausted, disheartened, embarrassed. Two years ago I had an interview there that went really well. That partly reflects my level of confidence in my ability to deal with and enjoy that situation now."
In addition to his role as a guitarist with the Wets and Director of the Foundry Music Lab, Duffin is actively involved in the work of the British Stammering Association Scotland, and is also an instructor/facilitator for the McGuire Programme.
In February 2006, Duffin opened Foundry Music Lab, a recording/rehearsal/teaching facility with two of his friends, Ted Blakeway and Sandy Jones, in Motherwell.
In October 2006, Duffin joined Wets frontman Marti Pellow for a two-month tour in support of the latter's Moonlight Over Memphis solo album.
- Graeme Duffin. Monique van Spellen. Retrieved on 2008-05-27.
- Celebrations - the official Graeme Duffin fan site
- Foundry Music Lab
- The McGuire Programme
- Speaking Out Magazine Autumn 2004
|Wet Wet Wet|
|Marti Pellow - Tommy Cunningham - Graeme Clark - Neil Mitchell - Angus Cameron|
|Other musicians: Graeme Duffin|
|Studio albums: Popped In Souled Out - The Memphis Sessions - Holding Back the River - High on the Happy Side - Cloak & Dagger - Picture This - 10|
|Singles: Wishing I Was Lucky - Sweet Little Mystery - Angel Eyes - Temptation - With a Little Help from My Friends - Sweet Surrender - Broke Away - Hold Back the River - Stay With Me Heartache - Make it Tonight - Put the Light On - Goodnight Girl - More than Love - Lip Service - Blue for You (live)/This Time (live) - Shed a Tear - Cold Cold Heart - Love Is All Around - Julia Says - Don't Want to Forgive Me Now - Somewhere Somehow - She's All on My Mind - Morning - If I Never See You Again - Strange - Yesterday/Maybe I'm In Love - All I Want|
|Live albums: Wet Wet Wet: Live - Live at the Royal Albert Hall|
|Compilations: End of Part One - The Greatest Hits|
|Videos: Video Singles - Live Glasgow Green Free Concert - High on the Happy Side - The Wets at the Castle - Live at the Royal Albert Hall - End of Part One - Picture This: All Around and in the Crowd - Playing Away at Home - The Best Of|