born on 27/3/1925 in Kansas City, MO, United States
died on 13/6/2003 in New York City, NY, United States
Links www.allmusic.com (English)
Harold Ashby (March 21, 1925 in Kansas City, Missouri – June 13, 2003 in New York City) was an American jazz tenor saxophonist. He worked with Duke Ellington's band, having replaced Jimmy Hamilton in 1968. In 1959, he recorded backing Willie Dixon on the latter's debut album, Willie's Blues.
Ashby worked as a freelance musician after leaving the Duke Ellington Orchestra in 1975, and took part in various reunions of Ellington alumni, as well as recording and gigging with his own bands.
- On the Sunny Side of the Street (Timeless, 1992)
With Ben Webster
- The Soul of Ben Webster (Verve, 1958)
With Paul Gonsalves
- Tenor Stuff (1961)
With Otis Rush
- Blues Masters, volume 2 (1972 re-release of 1950's Cobra label recordings)
- "Biodata". Archived from the original on February 5, 2012. Retrieved April 13, 2014.
- "Willie's Blues - Willie Dixon, Memphis Slim | Credits". AllMusic. 1959-12-03. Retrieved 2014-01-31.