Michael Beinhorn is an American musician and record producer.
Beinhorn started his professional career as a musician, playing keyboards in Bill Laswell's Material (originally the backing band for Daevid Allen's New York Gong LP, 1979) during the early 1980s. He got a chance to work with jazz musician Herbie Hancock, performing on Hancock's Future Shock album, which contained the hit single "Rockit" (like most tracks on the album, except for the title track, "Rock It" was co-written by Beinhorn and Laswell, originally for the follow-up album to Material's One Down before Hancock became involved) which quickly became a Billboard #1, and regarded as one of hip hop's seminal hits; it was the first release to contain recorded DJ scratching.
In 1998, Beinhorn received a Grammy Nomination for "Producer Of The Year" for his work on Celebrity Skin by Hole and Mechanical Animals by Marilyn Manson.
Looking for the best way to capture a broad frequency range during the recording process, Beinhorn devised the Ultra Analog Recording format. This process utilizes two inch magnetic tape, running on a custom built 8 track head stack.
Michael Beinhorn has since produced the albums of several musicians including The Blizzards, Korn, Marilyn Manson, Soundgarden, Soul Asylum, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Hole, The Verve Pipe, Raging Slab, Ozzy Osbourne, Mew, Social Distortion, The Golden Palominos, Foam and Black Label Society.
He had recently worked on the new Hole album, Nobody's Daughter, released in early 2010. In addition, he is also working on a blog, How To Save Popular Music
- 1983: Future Shock - Herbie Hancock
- 1987: The Uplift Mofo Party Plan - Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 1989: Mother's Milk - Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 1990: Mercurotones - The Buck Pets
- 1991: Why Do Birds Sing? - Violent Femmes
- 1992: Grave Dancers Union - Soul Asylum
- 1992: Soul Martini - Cavedogs
- 1994: Superunknown - Soundgarden
- 1994: "Blind Man" and "Walk on Water" - Aerosmith
- 1995: Ozzmosis - Ozzy Osbourne
- 1996: White Light, White Heat, White Trash - Social Distortion
- 1997: Sense and Sensuality - Nicky Holland
- 1997: Big Windshield Little Mirror - Foam
- 1998: Celebrity Skin - Hole
- 1998: Mechanical Animals - Marilyn Manson
- 1999: The Verve Pipe - The Verve Pipe
- 2002: Untouchables - Korn
- 2003: Natural Selection - Fuel
- 2003: Greatest Hits - Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 2004: Lest We Forget: The Best Of - Marilyn Manson
- 2005: Permanent Record: The Very Best of Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
- 2005: The Best of Fuel - Fuel
- 2005: And the Glass Handed Kites - Mew
- 2006: A Public Display of Affection - The Blizzards
- 2006: The Bronx - The Bronx
- 2007: Everything Last Winter - Fields
- 2008: "The Sucker Punch Show - Lovedrug
- 2008: Domino Effect - The Blizzards
- 2010: Nobody's Daughter - Hole
- 2013: TBA - Mew
- Michael Beinhorn Discography by Christian Genzel
- Michael Beinhorn biography at Artists Direct