Paul "Sage" Francis
born on 18/11/1976 in Miami, FL, United States
|Born|| November 18 1976
Paul "Sage" Francis (born November 18, 1976) is a hip-hop artist from Providence, Rhode Island.
Born Paul Francis in Miami, Florida, Sage Francis is a rapper/writer/performer from Providence, Rhode Island. He is the founder and CEO of the independent hip-hop record label Strange Famous Records. This label first began as a way for Francis to bootleg his unreleased songs in the late '90s and has since evolved into an official enterprise with an expanding roster of like-minded artists. Francis won the Scribble Jam Emcee battle in 2000 and released several CDs available only on his tours and website (Still Sick, Sick Of Waiting, Sick of Waging War, Sickly Business, Still Sickly Business, Sick of Wasting included). In 2001, his song "Makeshift Patriot," recorded on October 11, 2001, became an Internet hit for its critique of American media during, and immediately following, the September 11 attacks. After releasing his critically acclaimed Personal Journals album in 2002, he signed to Epitaph Records, making Francis the first hip-hop artist to sign with the punk-rock label. He subsequently released three albums with Epitaph; A Healthy Distrust (2005), Human the Death Dance (2007), and Li(f)e (2010) Francis is also part of the contemporary spoken word movement. Francis' relationship with the Providence Poetry Slam community (he was on their 1998, 1999 and 2002 national poetry slam teams) led to it being called "The House that Sage Francis Built." From 2000 - 2002, he also DJ-ed for the NYC-Urbana Poetry Slam, a weekly slam series held at the legendary punk rock venue CBGB.
- Main article: Sage Francis discography
- The Known UnSoldier "Sick of Waging War (Strange Famous Records, 2001)
- Sage Frenchkiss (Strange Famous Records, 2002)
- Personal Journals (Anticon, 2002)
- A Healthy Distrust (Epitaph, 2005)
- Human the Death Dance (Epitaph, 2007)
- Sick Of Wasting (Strange Famous Records, 2009)
- Li(f)e (Anti-, 2010)
- Braidwood, Stefan (2005) "Sage Francis A Healthy Distrust", PopMatters, February 17, 2005, retrieved 2010-11-14
- Massimo, Rick (2007) "R.I. Rapper Hits the Road", Providence Journal, May 13, 2007
- http://www.gotpoetry.com/Sections/op=viewarticle/artid=16.html Providence Poetry Slam info on GotPoetry.com
- Aptowicz, Cristin O'Keefe. (2008). Words in Your Face: A Guided Tour Through Twenty Years of the New York City Poetry Slam. New York City: Soft Skull Press. Page 100. ISBN 1-933-36882-9.
- Aptowicz, Cristin O'Keefe. (2008). Words in Your Face: A Guided Tour Through Twenty Years of the New York City Poetry Slam. New York City: Soft Skull Press. Page 198. ISBN 1-933-36882-9.
- Official Sage Francis website
- Strange Famous Records
- Strange Famous Forum
- KnowMore: The People's Corporation Watch Project
- Interview for Slap Magazine (Dead Link)
- Interview for Scene Missing Magazine
- Sage Francis Interview with Chuck D.
- Interview with Sage Francis 2010
- Interview: Sage Francis | The Find Magazine (2010)
|Studio albums||Personal Journals · A Healthy Distrust ·Human the Death Dance ·Li(f)e|
|Live albums||Dead Poet Live Album · Road Tested (2003-2005)|
|Mixtapes||Sick of Waiting... · Still Sick... Urine Trouble · Sick of Waiting Tables · Sick of Waging War · Sickly Business · Still Sickly Business · Sick of Wasting|
|EPs||"Climb Trees" · Makeshift Patriot|
|Singles||"Sage Frenchkiss" ·"Slow Down Gandhi" · "Sea Lion"|
|Record labels||Strange Famous Records ·anticon. · Epitaph Records|
|Related||Discography ·Life is Easy ·Hope|