born on 6/11/1961 in Milano, Lombardia, Italy
Daniele Gatti (born 6 November 1961) is an Italian conductor.
He is currently Music Director of the Orchestre National de France, a role he assumed in September, 2008, and also Chief Conductor of the Zurich Opera, a position he began in September, 2009; his contract is for three seasons, after which time renewal may be negotiated.
Gatti was born in Milan. He was principal conductor of the Orchestra Dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia in Rome from 1992 to 1997. In 1997, he became the music director of the Orchestra del Teatro Comunale di Bologna. He has also served as principal guest conductor of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. In 2005, alongside Zubin Mehta and Christian Thielemann, Gatti was invited to conduct a concert in commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the 1955 reopening and renovation of the Vienna State Opera. His debut at the Bayreuth Festival was in Stefan Herheim's production of Parsifal in 2008.
In 1994, Gatti made his first guest conducting appearance with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO). He was immediately offered the position of the RPO's principal conductor, and he assumed the post in 1996. Gatti is regarded as having restored the RPO's status on par to the other main London orchestras. During his tenure, in 2004, the RPO acquired its first permanent residency at Cadogan Hall. In April 2007, Gatti was one of eight conductors of British orchestras to endorse the 10-year classical music outreach manifesto, "Building on Excellence: Orchestras for the 21st Century", to increase the presence of classical music in the UK, including giving free entry to all British schoolchildren to a classical music concert. In 2009, Gatti stepped down as the RPO's principal conductor and became the orchestra's conductor laureate.
He is currently conducting the Mahler cycle with the Orchestre National de France. Future guest conducting dates include a German tour with the Vienna Philharmonic, which also includes the Mahler 9th on the composer's birthday in Vienna. He is also scheduled to conduct the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra and to return to the Bayreuth Festival to conduct Parsifal.
- Matthew Westphal, Daniele Gatti to Succeed Kurt Masur at Orchestre National de France, Playbill Arts, 2007-07-23. URL accessed on 2007-07-24.
- Hilary Finch, The Transformer, BBC Music Magazine, September 2000.
- Erica Jeal, Subtle but confident, The Guardian, 1999-09-20. URL accessed on 2007-04-30.
- Louise Jury, London Philharmonic gets a concert centre, The Independent, 8 January 2002. URL accessed on 2008-10-09.
- Anthony Holden, Vandals at the gates, The Observer, 2004-05-09. URL accessed on 2007-04-30.
- Charlotte Higgins, Orchestras urge free concerts for children, The Guardian, 2007-04-26. URL accessed on 2007-05-06.
- Martin Cullingford, Charles Dutoit takes over Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Gramophone, 2007-04-20. URL accessed on 2007-04-30.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Daniele Gatti
- Daniele Gatti at All Music Guide
- Official website: www.danielegatti.eu
- Daniele Gatti biography at Harmonia Mundi
|Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia Music Directors|
|Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Principal Conductors|
|Thomas Beecham (1946) Rudolf Kempe (1962) Antal Doráti (1975) Walter Weller (1980) André Previn (1985) Vladimir Ashkenazy (1987) Daniele Gatti (1996)|
|Orchestre National de France Music Directors|