born in 1964
Marc Albrecht (born 1964, Hanover, Germany) is a German conductor. He is the son of the conductor George Alexander Albrecht and Corinne Albrecht, formerly a ballet dancer who became a physiotherapist. Albrecht studied music with his father. Albrecht has served as an assistant to Claudio Abbado with the Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester, and an assistant conductor to Gerd Albrecht (no relation) at the Hamburg State Opera.
From 1995 to 2001, Albrecht was music director of the Staatstheater Darmstadt. From 2001 to 2004, he was first guest conductor with the Deutsche Oper Berlin. He became artistic advisor of the Orchestre philharmonique de Strasbourg (Strasbourg Philharmonic Orchestra) in 2005, and music director in 2008. With the Strasbourg Philharmonic, he has conducted commercial recordings for the Pentatone label, including orchestral lieder of Alban Berg, and piano concertos by Robert Schumann and Antonín Dvoák. He concluded his Strasbourg tenure in 2011.
Albrecht made his first conducting appearance at the Dutch National Opera in September 2008, with Die Frau ohne Schatten. In March 2009, he was named chief conductor of the Netherlands Chamber Orchestra, Netherlands Philharmonic Orchestra, and Dutch National Opera, effective with the 2011-2012 season. His initial contract is for 4 years.
Other recording work has included the Shostakovich Cello Concerto No. 2 with soloist Sol Gabetta.
- Andrew Clements, Schumann: Piano Concerto; Dvorák: Piano Concerto: Helmchen/Strasbourg PO/Albrecht, The Guardian, 2009-12-04. URL accessed on 2009-12-06.
- Merlijn Schooneboom, Albrecht nieuwe dirigent opera en NedPhO, de Volksrant, 2009-03-26. URL accessed on 2009-04-04.
- Charlotte Smith, "Marc Albrecht named chief conductor of Netherlands Phil and De Nederlandse Opera". Gramophone 31 March 2009.
- Strasbourg Philharmonic French-language biography
- Strasbourg Philharmonic timeline of conductors
- Klassik Heute, German-language biography
- Musikverein Darmstadt German-language timeline history page
- Dresden Philharmonic Philharmonische Blätter, "Der Dirigent Marc Albrecht im Porträt", July-August 2010 (German language article)