born in 1965 in Santiago de Chile, Región Metropolitana de Santiago, Chile
Alfredo Perl (born in Santiago de Chile in 1965) is a Chilean-German classical pianist and conductor, best known in the United Kingdom, Australia and Germany. He is best known for his recitals of Beethoven's sonatas. He is the current conductor of the Detmold Chamber Orchestra.
He began playing the piano from a young age. He studied at the Chilean National Conservatory under Carlos Botto Vallarino, and later under Günter Ludwig in Germany and Maria Curcio in London. Since then, Perl has worked with Mitsuko Uchida, Pierre-Laurent Aimard, Martha Argerich and Daniel Barenboim.
He made his debut in the International Piano Series at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London in 1992. Perl has since performed at many prestigious venues and country houses in the United Kingdom, notably Beethoven recitals at Wigmore Hall and a Chopin recital at the Hopetoun House in Edinburgh in 2003. Other notable venues Perl has appeared at include Vienna's Musikverein, Prague's Rudolfinum, Munich's Herkulessaal, Osaka's Izumi Hall, Buenos Aires's Teatro Colón and the Great Hall of the Moscow Conservatoire.
He has won awards in Japan, Italy, Austria and in his native Chile and went on a tour, performing all of Beethoven's 32 sonatas, which he has also recorded. Perl has also recorded solo works by Schumann, Liszt and Busoni and concertos by Grieg, Szymanowski and Liszt. He is critically acclaimed in a number of countries, including the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany and Russia, and has performed with many orchestras, including the London Symphony Orchestra, the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, the BBC Symphony Orchestra, the Sydney Symphony Orchestra and the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. He is noted in particular for his delicate, elegant touch and feeling.The Age in Melbourne wrote, "Chilean pianist Alfredo Perl effectively disseminated the music's elegance. His interpretation was not forced during either the cadenza material or the main body… the highlight of the concert".
Currently, Perl is conductor of the Detmold Chamber Orchestra and has resided for a considerable amount of time in both Munich and Hamburg. He has also served as a member of the jury on several piano competitions such as the 2009 Bonn Beethoven Competition and the 2010 Scottish International Piano Competition.
- Burford, T. (2005). Chile: The Bradt Travel Guide. Bradt Travel Guides. p. 42. ISBN 978-1-84162-076-3.
- "Classical Music: Alfredo Perl and Maurizio Pollini / Beethoven cycles WH / RFH, London". The Independent. November 26, 1996. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- "Willkommen beim Detmolder Kammerorchester!" (in German). Detmold Chamber Orchestra. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- "The 2010 Competition Jury". Scottish International Piano Competition. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- "Alfredo Perl" (PDF). Harrison Parrott Management. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- "Solistas: Alfredo Perl" (in Spanish). Enciclopedia de La Musica.
- Gramophone Classical Good Cd Guide 1998. Gramophone, Omnibus Press. 1997. p. 100. ISBN 978-0-902470-94-1.
- March, I.; Greenfield, E.; Layton, R.; Czajkowski, P (2004-10-26). The Penguin guide to compact discs and DVDs: yearbook, 2004/5. Penguin Books. p. 221. ISBN 978-0-14-051523-7.
- "Classical: Sublime grandeur in understatement Alfredo Perl Queen Perl Queen Elizabeth Hall London". The Independent. January 19, 2001. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- Gramophone, Volume 78, Issues 928-933. C. Mackenzie. 2000. p. 75.
- "Reviews". Harrison Parrott Management. Archived from the original on 19 April 2010. Retrieved May 29, 2010.