born on 20/2/1946 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Riccardo Cocciante [rikkardo kottante], also known in French-speaking countries and the U.S. as Richard Cocciante French pronunciation: [ia kjt] (born 20 February 1946), is an Italian singer-songwriter, composer and musician. His oeuvre includes recordings in Italian, French, English, and Spanish; he has recorded some of his songs in all four languages.
He was born in Saigon, Vietnam, now Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, to an Italian father and a French mother. He moved to Rome, Italy at the age of 11 where he attended school and started his career as musician coming to success around 1972. He also lived in the USA and Ireland. In 1976, Cocciante covered the Beatles song "Michelle" for the musical documentary All This and World War II, as well as releasing his sole English album in the US.
In 1991, he won the Sanremo Festival with the song "Se stiamo insieme", and for Christmas 1997 legendary Spanish operatic tenor and friend Plácido Domingo invited him to sing at Domingo's annual Christmas in Vienna concert, together with Sarah Brightman and Helmut Lotti.
As of 2008, Cocciante has three musicals running, probably Notre-Dame de Paris being the most known. This musical may later be put into competition against another musical in progress, Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame (musical).
- Mu (1972)
- Poesia (1973)
- Anima (1974)
- L'alba (1975)
- Richard Cocciante [English version of Anima] (1976)
- Concerto per Margherita (1976)
- Riccardo Cocciante (1978)
- ...E io canto (1979)
- Cervo a primavera (1980)
- Q Concert (1981)
- Cocciante (1982)
- Sincerità (1983)
- Il mare dei papaveri (1985)
- Quando si vuole bene (1986)
- La grande avventura (1988)
- Viva! (1988)
- Cocciante (also known as Se stiamo insieme; 1991)
- Eventi e mutamenti (1993)
- Il mio nome è Riccardo (1994)
- Un uomo felice (1994)
- Je Chante (1995)
- Innamorato (1997)
- Istantanea (1998)
- Notre-dame de Paris live Arena di Verona (2002)
- Songs (2005)
- Notre-Dame de Paris (2001; lyrics by Luc Plamondon)
- Giulietta e Romeo (2007; lyrics by Pasquale Panella)
- Le Petit Prince (2007; lyrics by Elizabeth Anais)
- Asinari, Pierguido. Riccardo Cocciante. 1971-2007. Dalla forma canzone al melodramma, Rome: 2007.
- RICCARDO COCCIANTE Official Web Site
- Biography of Richard Cocciante, from Radio France Internationale
- Biography of Riccardo Cocciante, from RAI International
- AyerHoy.com (Cada día un perfil de un artista del ayer)