born on 17/2/1941 in Pasadena, CA, United States
died on 18/5/2007 in Minneapolis, MN, United States
Herbie Lewis (February 17, 1941 – May 18, 2007) was an American hard bop double bassist.
He played or recorded with many prominent jazz musicians, including Cannonball Adderley, Stanley Turrentine, Bobby Hutcherson, Freddie Hubbard, Harold Land, Jackie McLean, Archie Shepp, and McCoy Tyner.
Herbie recorded his last CD Just a Lucky So and So with the Eminence Portable Upright Bass.
Herbie Lewis founded the Jazz Studies program at New College of California.
Lewis died of cancer on May 18, 2007.
With Cannonball Adderley
- Great Love Themes (1966, Capitol)
- Money in the Pocket (1966 - released 2005, Capitol)
- Here and Now (Mercury, 1962)
- Another Git Together (Mercury, 1962)
With Freddie Hubbard
- High Blues Pressure (1967, Atlantic)
- Fastball: Live at the Left Bank (1967)
- Above & Beyond (1982 - released 1999, Metropolitan)
With Bobby Hutcherson
- Stick-Up! (1966, Blue Note)
- Now! (1969, Blue Note)
- Solo / Quartet (Contemporary, 1982)
- Four Seasons (Timeless, 1983)
With Harold Land
- The Fox (1959, Contemporary)
With Jackie McLean
- Let Freedom Ring (1962, Blue Note)
- Consequence (1965 - released 1979, Blue Note)
With Sonny Red
- Sonny Red (Mainstream, 1971)
With Sam Rivers
- A New Conception (1966, Blue Note)
With Archie Shepp
- California Meeting: Live on Broadway (Soul Note, 1985)
With Stanley Turrentine
- That's Where It's At (1962, Blue Note)
With McCoy Tyner
- Tender Moments (1967, Blue Note)
- Time for Tyner (1968, Blue Note)
- Expansions (1968, Blue Note)
- Asante (1970, Blue Note)
- Left Alone '86 (1986, Paddle Wheel)
- http://www.startribune.com/466/story/1200621.html Star Tribune obituary
- Herbie Lewis Dies at 66 Obituary from JazzPolice.com.
- Video of Herbie Lewis from 2003