Stefano Di Battista
born on 14/2/1969 in Roma, Lazio, Italy
Stefano di Battista
|Stefano di Battista
Stefano di Battista (born February 14, 1969) is an Italian jazz saxophonist who plays soprano and alto.
He was born in Rome. He began playing at thirteen with friends and became interested in jazz on hearing Art Pepper. In Italy he received guidance from Massimo Urbani and by his twenties di Battista was performing in Paris. He put out his debut as a leader in 1997 and has toured with the Elvin Jones Jazz Machine.
- 1996 Live au Parc Floral Vol 3 /Parc Floral
- 1997 Volare /Label Bleu
- 1998 A Prima vista /Blue Note
- 2000 Stefano Di Battista /Blue Note
- 2002 Round About Roma /Blue Note
- 2004 Parkers Mood /Blue Note
- 2007 Trouble Shootin /Blue Note
- 2011 Woman's Land /Discograph
If you've seen the title, you've probably got this one figured out. Parker's Mood, Italian saxophonist Stefano Di Battista's fourth Blue Note CD as a leader, is a Charlie Parker tribute. Di Battista's usual bassist and trumpeter Rosario Bonaccorso and Flavio Boltro are teamed up for this session with the Stateside duo of pianist Kenny Barron and Jazz at Lincoln Center powerhouse drummer Herlin Riley for a collection of Birdsongs that stick pretty closely to the originals. Interestingly, the closer they hew, the more successful they are.
- [Stefano di Battista at All Music Guide All Music]
- Blue Note profile
- Artist's website