born on 21/12/1905 in London, England, United Kingdom
died on 3/11/1958 in New York City, NY, United States
Harry Revel (21 December 1905 3 November 1958) was an English composer of musical theatre.
Revel was born in London. Before emigrating to the United States in 1929, he wrote musicals for productions in Paris, Copenhagen, Vienna and London.
Once in the US, he worked on Broadway, writing the scores for Ziegfeld Follies of 1931, Meet My Sister and Are You With It?. He later moved to Hollywood. He wrote scores for the films Sitting Pretty, Broadway Through a Keyhole, We're Not Dressing, She Loves Me Not, Shoot the Works, College Rhythm, Love in Bloom, Paris in the Spring, Stolen Harmony, Two for Tonight, Collegiate, Stowaway, Poor Little Rich Girl, Ali Baba Goes to Town, Wake Up and Live, You Can't Have Everything, Head Over Heels, Love and Kisses, Four Jacks and a Jill and Love Finds Andy Hardy.
Harry Revel collaborated with lyricists Mack Gordon, Mort Greene, Paul Francis Webster and Arnold Horwitt. In 1934 he appeared in Hollywood Rhythm, a short film purporting to show the songwriting team of Mack Gordon and Harry Revel brainstorming the score for College Rhythm.
Revel co-produced and co-wrote the score (with Webster) for the 1944 Benny Fields musical Minstrel Man. The score was nominated for an Academy Award, a first for low-budget studio Producers Releasing Corporation.
Revel died in New York. He was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1970.
- Blues in the Night [Musical, Revue] Featuring songs by Harry Revel June 2, 1982 July 18, 1982
- Music Out of the Moon Themes by Harry Revel 1947
- Are You With It? [Musical] Music by Harry Revel November 10, 1945 June 29, 1946
- Smiling Faces [Original, Musical, Comedy] Music by Harry Revel August 30, 1932 September 24, 1932
- Marching By [Musical] Music by Harry Revel March 3, 1932 [unknown]
- Fast and Furious (musical) [Musical, Revue] Music mostly by Harry Revel September 15, 1931 [unknown]
- Ziegfeld Follies of 1931 [Musical, Revue] Music by Harry Revel July 1, 1931 November 21, 1931
- Harry Revel at the Internet Broadway Database
- Harry Revel at the Internet Movie Database
- Harry Revel at the Songwriters Hall of Fame