born on 19/5/1953 in Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Links www.jimmythackery.com (English)
Jimmy Thackery (born May 19, 1953, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States) is an American Blues singer and guitarist.
Thackery spent fourteen years as part of The Nighthawks, the Washington, D.C. based blues and roots rock ensemble. After leaving the Nighthawks in 1986, Thackery toured under his own name.
Born in Pittsburgh and raised in Washington, Thackery co-founded The Nighthawks with Mark Wenner in 1972 and went on to record over twenty albums with them. In 1986 he began touring with The Assassins, a six-piece original blues, rock and R&B ensemble which he had previously helped start as a vacation band when The Nighthawks took one of their rare breaks. Originally billed as Jimmy Thackery and The Assassins, the band toured the U.S. Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, South, and Texas regions. The Assassins released a variety of recordings on the Seymour record label, two on vinyl (No Previous Record and Partners in Crime) and the 1989 CD Cut Me Loose.
In the wake of the Assassins 1991 break-up, Thackery has been leading a trio, Jimmy Thackery and the Drivers, whose early recordings were for the San Francisco, California based Blind Pig Records. In 2002 Thackery released, We Got It, his first album on Telarc and in 2006, In the Natural State with Earl and Ernie Cate on Rykodisc. In 2007, he released Solid Ice again with The Drivers. His latest album 'Feel the Heat' was released in April 2011.
- 1992 Empty Arms Motel
- 1993 Sideways in Paradise (with John Mooney)
- 1994 Trouble Man
- 1995 Wild Night Out
- 1996 Drive To Survive
- 1996 Partners in Crime (with Tom Principato)
- 1998 Switching Gears
- 2000 Sinner Street
- 2000 That´s It! (with David Raitt)
- 2002 We Got It
- 2002 Whiskey Store" with Tab Benoit)
- 2003 Guitar (Instrumental/Compilation)
- 2003 True Stories
- 2004 Whiskey Store Live (with Tab Benoit)
- 2005 Healin' Ground
- 2006 In the Natural State (with the Cate Brothers)
- 2007 Solid Ice
- 2008 Live! 2008
- 2008 Inside Tracks
- 2010 Live in Detroit
- 2011 Feel the Heat
- [Jimmy Thackery at All Music Guide Allmusic biography]
- Levine, Doug, Jimmy Thackery Showcases Songwriting, Guitar Playing Skills on 'Solid Ice', VOA News, Voice of America, 1 August 2007. URL accessed on 1 January 2009.