born on 23/2/1964 in Norway
John Terry Norum (born 23 February 1964 in Vardø, Norway) is a swedish rock guitarist and one of the founders of the Swedish rock band, Europe. As an infant, he moved with his parents to Upplands Väsby (a Stockholm's suburb) in Sweden, where he grew up and has spent most of his life. Concurrent to his role with Europe, he also maintains a successful side solo career.
During his career in music, Norum has played with Eddie Meduza & the Roaring Cadillacs, Dokken, Don Dokken's solo band, as well as collaborations with other well-known artists in his solo albums, including Glenn Hughes, Kelly Keeling, Peter Baltes, Simon Wright and Göran Edman. His influences include the likes of Gary Moore, John Sykes and Michael Schenker. When asked about his playing, Joey Tempest once said “John Norum is like a man possessed. On stage he performs as if channeling the guitar greats of the 1960s and 1970s that have served to inspire him. But he always delivers in his own unique style, with a hint of blues, of course. I can think of a few other guitarists that play with as much feeling and passion as John.”
Norum started and developed his musical career in Sweden, but has also lived in the United States for a few years, where he met and married Michelle Meldrum in 1995, founder and lead guitarist of the all-female hard rock band Phantom Blue and the Swedish metal band Meldrum. The couple had one son, Jake Thomas, born on 22 September 2004. Michelle died on 21 May 2008 from a cystic growth in her brain. On 16 April 2012 he had a son, Jim Henry, from his Swedish fiancée Camilla Wåhlander. The couple had also a daughter, Celine Margareta, born on 28 July 2014.
- Fender Stratocaster guitars
- Gibson Les Paul guitars
- Paoletti John Norum Signature guitars
- Marshall "Silver Jubilee Series" head and JCM 800 head (both heads run concurrently)
- Marshall '72 4x12 Cabinets with Celestion Greenbacks
- Dunlop Crybaby Jimi Hendrix Wah pedal
- MXR Stereo Chorus pedal
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay pedal
- Two notes Torpedo Live Speaker simulator
His guitar goes through the Wah into the chorus pedal, from where the separate outputs connect to the two amp heads, with the delay connected in the effects loop of the JCM 800 only.
- On the Loose (1985)
- Far Out Man (1990)
- Tegnér A., Johansson, M. Europe - den stora rockdrömmen, Wiken, 1987, ISBN 91-7024-408-1
- John Norum. En biografi ver en Svensk gitarrhjalte, Sony Music Ent. Sweden, 1992. Contained into the Swedish special edition of "Face the Truth" album.
- Bevilacqua F., John Norum's biography, 2010, last update December 2012
- Bevilacqua F., John Norum's discography, 2012, last update April 2012
- Stern M., Europe Biography, Agosto 2006
- "Allmusic". Allmusic. Retrieved 24 June 2008.
- Bevilacqua, Francesca. "Biography". johnnorum.se. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- Nilsson, Christoffer (2014-07-30). "Dubbel bebislycka för Europe" [Double baby happiness for Europe]. aftonbladet.se. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- "John Norum official BIOGRAPHY". Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- "John NORUM's DISCOGRAPHY: his works with Eddie MEDUZA & The ROARING CADILLACS". www.norumaniacs.com. Retrieved 2016-08-17.
- Wibacke - Berger, Mia (2014-03-04). "Witt lever för sin musik i Sundbyberg". Magasin Sundbyberg. Archived from the original on 2014-03-04.
- "John Norum GEAR". Retrieved 2016-08-17.