born on 3/2/1945 in Sioux Falls, SD, United States
Bob Stewart (musician)
|Bob Stewart (musician)|
Bob Stewart (born February 3, 1945 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota), is an American tuba player. He received his Bachelor of Music Education degree from the Philadelphia College of the Performing Arts and his Masters in Education from Lehman College Graduate School. Stewart taught music in Pennsylvania public schools and at the Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts in New York City. He is now a professor at the Juilliard School and is a "Distinguished Lecturer" at Lehman College.
Stewart has toured and recorded with such artists as Charles Mingus, Gil Evans, Carla Bley, Muhal Richard Abrams, David Murray, Taj Mahal, Dizzy Gillespie, McCoy Tyner, Arthur Blythe, Freddie Hubbard, Don Cherry, Nicholas Payton, Wynton Marsalis, Charlie Haden, Lester Bowie, Bill Frisell and many others both in the United States, Europe and the Far East. In their review of Blythe's album Lenox Avenue Breakdown, the editors of The Penguin Guide to Jazz called Stewart's title track solo "one of the few genuinely important tuba statements in jazz."
- 1987: First Line
- 1988: Goin' Home
- 2000: Then & Now (Postcards Records) with Taj Majal, Carlos Ward, Steve Turre, and Graham Haynes
- 2008: Heavy Metal Duo: Work Songs and Other Spirituals
With Arthur Blythe
- Metamorphosis (1977)
- The Grip (1977)
- Bush Baby (1978)
- Lenox Avenue Breakdown (1979)
- Illusions (1980)
- Blythe Spirit (1981)
- Elaborations (1982)
- Light Blue: Arthur Blythe Plays Thelonious Monk (1983)
With Henry Butler
- The Village (1987, Impulse!)
With Don Cherry
- Multikuti (A&M, 1990)
- Afro-Cuban Jazz Moods (Pablo, 1975)
With Chris Joris
- Songs For Mbizo (VKH Tonesetters, 1991 and Jazz Halo/Omnitone, 2002) - with 1976 recordings
With Charles Mingus
- Let My Children Hear Music (Columbia, 1972)
- Charles Mingus and Friends in Concert (Columbia, 1972)
With Sam Rivers
- Crystals (Impulse! 1974)
- 1.0 1.1 Wynn, Ron (1994). All Music Guide to Jazz, Miller Freeman.
- 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Bob Stewart (Flash). JazzCorner. Retrieved on 2008-06-01.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton  (2006). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings, 8th, New York: Penguin.
- *Astarita, Glenn (2002-09-19). Chris Joris: Songs For Mbizo (2002). All About Jazz. Retrieved on 2013-08-08.
*Chris Joris - Songs For Mbizo CD. CD Universe (CD seller). Retrieved on 2013-08-08. [release 2002 details]
*Chris Joris - Songs for Mbizo - CD album 1991 (Dutch). Muziek Archief (Muziekcentrum Vlaanderen vzw). Retrieved on 2013-08-08.
- Odyssey of a Tuba Jazz Master: Interview with Bob Stewart by Sérgio Carolino
- Interview with Bob Stewart on Tuba News, written by Sergio Carolino.
- Bob Stewart Official Website