born on 13/10/1967 in Rauma, Westfinnland, Finland
Hannu Petteri Lintu (born 13 October 1967, Rauma, Finland) is a Finnish conductor.
Lintu studied piano and cello at the Turku Conservatory and at the Sibelius Academy. He also studied conducting with Atso Almila, and later with Jorma Panula and Eri Klas. He took part in conducting master classes with Ilya Musin. Lintu won the Nordic Conducting Competition in 1994 in Bergen. He graduated from the Sibelius Academy in 1996 with honours.
From 1998 to 2001, Lintu was chief conductor of the Turku Philharmonic Orchestra. In 2005, he served as the artistic director for the Summer Sounds Festival of the Finnish contemporary music ensemble Avanti!. Lintu was chief conductor of the Tampere Philharmonic Orchestra from 2009 to 2013. In December 2010, the Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra announced the appointment of Lintu as its eighth chief conductor, effective 1 August 2013, with an initial contract of 3 seasons. He held the title of principal guest conductor with the orchestra for the 2012-2013 season.
Outside of Finland, Lintu was chief conductor and artistic director of the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra from 2002 to 2005. Lintu first conducted the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra in January 2009. On the basis of that appearance, he was named principal guest conductor of the RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra, effective with the 2010-2011 season.
Lintu has conducted commercial recordings for such labels as Claves, Dacapo, Danacord, Hyperion, Naxos, and Ondine.
- Tampere Philharmonic Orchestra (11 September 2012). Santtu-Matias Rouvali appointed Chief Conductor and Artistic Director from 2013. Press release. Retrieved on 2012-09-19
- "Hannu Lintu to be FRSO's Chief Conductor" (press release). Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, 14 December 2010.
- Michael Dervan, 'Most of the orchestras in the world can play without a conductor', The Irish Times, 2010-11-25. URL accessed on 2011-01-06.
- Official Hannu Lintu homepage
- Harrison Parrott agency biography of Hannu Lintu
- ClassicsToday.com review of Dacapo- 6.220511