born on 10/10/1948 in New Orleans, LA, United States
Cyril Garrett Neville (born in New Orleans, Louisiana, October 10, 1948), is a percussionist and vocalist who first came to prominence as a member of his brother Art Neville's funky New Orleans-based band, The Meters. He joined Art in the Neville Brothers band upon the dissolution of the Meters.
Neville wrote an article for the December 16, 2005 edition of CounterPunch, titled "Why I'm Not Going Back To New Orleans" and was featured in the 2006 film, New Orleans Music in Exile. After Katrina he moved to Austin, Texas but currently lives in Slidel, Louisiana.
Soul Rebels Brass Band featured Neville as a special guest on their Rounder Records debut record, Unlock Your Mind, released on January 31, 2012. The Soul Rebels' name was conceived by Neville at the New Orleans venue Tipitinas, where the band was opening.
In 2005 Neville joined up with Tab Benoit for the Voice of the Wetlands Allstars to bring awareness to Louisiana's rapid loss of wetlands along the Gulf Coast. The band also features Waylon Thbodeaux, Johnny Sansone, Anders Osborne, Big Chief Monk Boudreaux, George Porter Jr, Johnny Vidacovich, and Dr. John. The band has become a main feature at the annual New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival in New Orleans, LA.
In 2010 Neville joined New Orleans hipster funk band Galactic. He put aside his solo career to tour internationally with the band.
- Cyril Neville may be the youngest of the Neville Brothers, the first family of New Orleans rock and R&B, but he has just made his best album. Billboard Magazine
- a refreshingly original approach to the music (*** 1/2) Chicago Sun-Times
- 1994 The Fire This Time (Endangered Species) The Uptown Allstars
- 1998 Soulo (Endangered Species) Cyril solo
- 2000 New Orleans Cookin' (Endangered Species) Cyril solo
- 2003 For The Funk Of It (Kongo Square) The Uptown Allstars
- 2007 The Healing Dance (Jomar/Silk) Tribe 13
- 2009 Brand New Blues (M.C.) Cyril solo
- 2012 Royal Southern Brotherhood (RUF) Royal Southern Brotherhood"
- Cyril Neville (2005-12-16). Why I'm Not Going Back To New Orleans. CounterPunch.
- The Soul Rebels: Unlock Your Mind EPK (Extended). Retrieved on 7 April 2012.
- Smith, Nicole. Researcher. NOLA.com.
- Smith, Nicole. researcher. CHC Network.
- 5.0 5.1 Smith, Willimas. researcher. CHC Network.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Cyril Neville
|The Neville Brothers|
|* Art Neville|
|Studio albums||* Fiyo on the Bayou