born on 25/8/1975 in Detroit, MI, United States
Riggins was born in Detroit, Michigan. His father, Emmanuel Riggins, is also a musician, and Karriem would often play drums with him as a child. Riggins began producing hip hop in middle school and continued through high school. He studied music at Southfield High School as well, and joined Betty Carter's band Jazz Ahead soon after, at 17. When he was 19 (in 1994), Riggins moved to New York City, and joined the Ray Brown Trio in 1998. Riggins has also recorded and performed with Donald Byrd, Hank Jones, Mulgrew Miller, Milt Jackson, Oscar Peterson, Cedar Walton, Roy Hargrove, and Bobby Hutcherson.
Away from jazz, Riggins has done production work for hip hop artists including Slum Village, Erykah Badu, Common, J Dilla, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Phat Kat, Consequence, and Dwele. He has collaborated with the hip hop multi-instrumentalist Madlib, performing on his 2007 album Yesterdays Universe and in collaborations entitled Supreme Team and The Jahari Massamba Unit. and also produced a portion of the soundtrack for the 2007 film Smokin' Aces.
The first half "Alone" of his debut album on Stones Throw "Alone/Together" was released digitally and on vinyl on July 31, 2012.
He currently lives in Detroit, Michigan.
- Alone Together (2012)
- 1.0 1.1 1.2 Karriem Riggins. All About Jazz (2007-08-15). Retrieved on 2008-03-08.
- 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Coachman, Dale (2007-09-12). Karriem Riggins: True Virtuoso. Scheme Magazine. Retrieved on 2008-03-08.
- Burrell, Jalylah, What You Feel, The Portland Mercury, Index Publishing, 2007-11-21. URL accessed on 2008-03-07.
- Stones Throw Podcast 74: Karriem Riggins Produced That. Stones Throw (2012-06-21). Retrieved on 2012-06-21.
- Official site
- Karriem Riggins at MySpace