Banca dati musicale
nato 1969 a Holstebro, Midtjylland, Danimarca
Links www.askonasholt.co.uk (Inglese)
Thomas Søndergård (born 4 October 1969, Holstebro, Denmark) is a Danish conductor. He is currently the Principal Conductor of BBC National Orchestra of Wales and Principal Guest Conductor of Royal Scottish National Orchestra.
Søndergård studied percussion and timpani at the Royal Danish Academy of Music from 1989 to 1992, where his teachers included Gert Mortensen. From 1989 to 1992, Søndergård was a timpanist in the European Union Youth Orchestra. He joined the Royal Danish Orchestra as a timpanist in 1992. He served on the faculty of the Royal Danish Academy of Music from 2001 to 2002.
Søndergård devoted greater attention to conducting from age 27. His conducting mentors have included Alexander Polianichko, Yves Abel and Graham Bond. His conducting work in contemporary music has included conducting the 2005 premiere of Poul Ruders' Kafka's Trial with the Royal Danish Opera, in performances which were recorded for commercial release. Søndergård became principal conductor of the Norwegian Radio Orchestra (KORK) in 2009, and concluded his KORK tenure after the 2011-2012 season.
Søndergård first conducted the BBC National Orchestra of Wales (BBC NOW) in December 2009, as an emergency substitute for Thierry Fischer. In July 2011, Søndergård was named the 14th principal conductor of the BBC NOW, effective with the 2012-2013 season, for an initial contract of 4 years. In October 2011, he was named the next principal guest conductor of the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, as of the 2012-2013 season, with an initial contract of 3 years for 3 programmes per year.
Søndergård has conducted commercial recordings for the DaCapo label, including music of Bent Lorentzen, Per Nørgård, and Poul Ruders
- Karen Price, Scandinavian cool: conductor Thomas Søndergård, Western Mail, 2011-07-15. URL accessed on 2011-07-31.
- Andrew Clements, Kafka's Trial (Opera House, Copenhagen), The Guardian, 2005-03-15. URL accessed on 2011-07-31.
- Anthony Tommasini, Kafka on Trial, Opera Fans in Heaven, New York Times, 2005-03-14. URL accessed on 2011-07-31.
- Andrew Clements, Ruders: Kafka's Trial, Van Hall/ Stille/ Rorholm/ Jensen/ Royal Danish Opera/ Sondergard (Da Capo, two CDs), The Guardian, 2006-06-30. URL accessed on 2011-07-31.
- Jan Frederik Heyerdahl, KORK under dansk ledelse, Norwegian Radio, 2008-02-12. URL accessed on 2011-07-30.
- Fred Olav Vatne, KORK må finne ny sjefdirigent, Norwegian Radio, 2011-07-12. URL accessed on 2011-11-06.
- BBC (12 July 2011). BBC National Orchestra of Wales announces new Principal Conductor. Press release. Retrieved on 2011-07-31
- Peter Collins, Great Dane to be chief BBC National Orchestra Wales conductor, Western Mail, 2011-07-12. URL accessed on 2011-07-31.
- Royal Scottish National Orchestra (18 October 2011). Thomas Søndergård joins RSNO Artistic Team. Press release. Retrieved on 2011-11-06
- Anthony Tommasini, Poul Ruders, New York Times, 2011-06-10. URL accessed on 2011-07-31.
- Askonas Holt agency biography of Thomas Søndergård
- DaCapo Records English-language biography of Søndergård
- Dansk Kapelmesterforening (Danish Conductors Association) page on Thomas Søndergård
- Laura Sinnerton, "Thomas Søndergård joins BBC NOW as principal conductor". BBC Wales Music blog, 12 July 2011
- Rhodri Lewis, "New conductor for BBC National Orchestra of Wales". BBC News Wales, 12 July 2011
- Caroline Rigby, "BBC National Orchestra of Wales plays for new conductor". BBC News Wales, 13 July 2011