||To comply with Wikipedia's guidelines, the introduction of this article may need to be rewritten. Please discuss this issue on the talk page and read the layout guide to make sure the section will be inclusive of all essential details. (April 2013)|
Gogol Bordello is a Gypsy punk band from the Lower East Side of Manhattan, formed in 1999 and known for theatrical stage shows and persistent touring.
Much of the band's sound is inspired by Gypsy music. The band incorporates accordion and violin (and on some albums, saxophone) mixed with punk and dub.
The band has appeared in a number of popular films, most notably in 2005's Everything Is Illuminated in which the lead singer, Eugene Hütz, co-starred with Elijah Wood in a dramedy and adventure story about the Nazi purges in Ukraine. The entire group was present for one shot in which they played a brass band in a set that included the Star Spangled Banner. They also played the traditional Yiddish tune "Bublitschki". Gogol Bordello contributed the song "Start Wearing Purple" to the film's score.
The band also has their own documentary called Gogol Bordello Non-Stop. This documentary was filmed in 2008 and follows the band's progress.
In 2012, the band recorded a song titled Let's Get Crazy for Coca Cola's Euro 2012 advertising campaign.
History and influences
"Gogol" comes from Nikolai Gogol, a classical Russian writer, born in what today is Ukraine (Gogol himself used the older common name "Little-Russia"). He serves as an ideological influence for the band because he "smuggled" Ukrainian culture into Russian society, which Gogol Bordello intends to do with Gypsy/East-European music in the English-speaking world. "Bordello," in Italian, refers to a brothel or a "gentleman's club." The band was originally titled Hütz and the Béla Bartóks, but Eugene Hütz says that they decided to change the name because "nobody knows who the hell Béla Bartók is in the United States." The band played their first show as the unofficial band at an after-hours club called Pizdetz where they became the house band and DJ Hütz became the house DJ.
Gogol Bordello's first single was released in 1999, and since then they have released six full-length albums, and one EP. In 2005 the band signed to punk label SideOneDummy Records. On 27 April 2010 Gogol Bordello made its major record label debut with Transcontinental Hustle on Rick Rubin's American Recordings, a subsidiary of Columbia Records/Sony Music Entertainment. Many of the songs on Transcontinental Hustle were inspired by Hütz's move to Brazil.
The band has toured tirelessly throughout Europe and America. They have made numerous appearances at international festivals and have toured with such diverse bands as Primus, Flogging Molly, and Cake. In an interview with NPR, frontman Eugene Hütz cites Jimi Hendrix and Parliament-Funkadelic as among the band's main musical influences. They have mentioned Manu Chao, Fugazi, Zvuki Mu, Karamelo Santo, Sasha Kolpakov and The Clash as influences as well.
They performed live at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts festival 2011 for Bonnaroo's 10 year anniversary, playing a 1.5 hour set in the middle of the night and performed with Devotchka.
Gogol Bordello released a new song titled Let's Get Crazy in 2012 as part of Coca Cola's advertising campaign for the European Football Championships, which were part-hosted by Ukraine. The track samples one of their earlier singles, Wonderlust King, and the Coca Cola advertising jingle.
- Late Show with David Letterman (July 31, 2007)
- The Henry Rollins Show (August 10, 2007)
- Jimmy Kimmel Live! (March 22, 2006 and September 5, 2007)
- Programa do Jô (Brazilian talk show - November 10, 2009)
- Late Night with Conan O'Brien (July 30, 2008)
- Later... with Jools Holland (June 16, 2006 and April 16, 2010)
- Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (April 26, 2010 and July 17, 2013)
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (October 13, 2010)
- The Daily Habit (November 8, 2010)
- The Arsenio Hall Show (October 7, 2013)
- 2004 - Kill Your Idols - Hütz was interviewed in this documentary about New York's "No Wave" music scene.
- 2005 - Everything Is Illuminated - In Liev Schreiber's directorial debut, which stars Elijah Wood, the role of Alexander Perchov was played by Eugene Hütz. It includes cameo appearances by other Gogol Bordello members in the train scene.
- 2006 - The Pied Piper Of Hützovina - Documentary by Pavla Fleischer about a road trip she and Eugene Hütz took to Ukraine to trace his roots.
- 2006 - Wristcutters: A Love Story - "Eugene," played by American actor Shea Whigham, is partly based on Eugene Hütz, whose music ("Through the Roof and Underground", "Occurrence on the Border", and "Huliganjetta") is featured in the film as that recorded by the character's old band. Contrary to the belief that he has received no credit for this, the film credits show the copyrights for both Gogol Bordello songs, as well as giving thanks to Eugene multiple times throughout the credit roll.
- 2008 - Filth and Wisdom - The entire band appeared in this independent film directed by Madonna. Eugene Hütz is the protagonist. Madonna also allowed Eugene to add his own dialogue into the script.
- 2008 - Gogol Bordello Non-Stop - The development of the band was documented in this film directed by Margarita Jimeno. It follows the band's rise from underground legends to international fame from 2001 to 2007.
- 2009 - Larger Than Life in 3D - Live High-def digital concert footage shot in stereoscopic 3-D at the Austin City Limits festival in October 2009.
- 2009- Live From Axis Mundi: Professionally recorded live concert footage shot in New York.
- 2011- Grain: Short film, 'Against the Nature' appears on the credits.
- Eugene Hütz (lead vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion) - Ukraine (1999present)
- Sergey Ryabtsev (violin, backing vocals) - Russia (2000present)
- Elizabeth Sun (percussion, backing vocals, dance, general performance) - China/Scotland (2004present)
- Thomas "Tommy T" Gobena (bass backing vocals) - Ethiopia (2006present)
- Pedro Erazo (percussion, MC) - Ecuador (2007present)
- Oliver Charles (drums) USA (2009present)
- Michael Ward (Guitar / Backing Vocals) - USA (2012present)
- Pasha Newmer (accordion; backing vocals) - Belarus (2013present)
- Pamela Racine (percussion, backing vocals, dance, general performance) - USA
- Eliot Ferguson (drums, backing vocals)
- Karl Alvarez (bass)
- Rea Mochiach (bass, percussion, electronics and beat programming in the studio, backing vocals) - Israel
- Yuri Lemeshev (accordion, backing vocals) - Russia (2001-2013)
- Sasha Kazatchkoff (accordion)
- Vlad Solovar (guitar) Romania
- Ori Kaplan - saxophone, (co leads Balkan Beat Box with Tamir Muskat), backing vocals, (no relation to Oren Kaplan) - Israel
- Susan Donaldson (percussion, backing vocals, dance, general performance)
- James Ward (accordion) - Scotland
- Andra Ursuta (percussion, backing vocals, dance, general performance) - Romania
- Katheryn McGaffigan (fill-in percussion, backing vocals, dance, general performance)
- Chris Tattersall (drums, backing vocals) - United Kingdom
- Oren Kaplan (guitar, backing vocals) - Israel (2000-2012)
- Voi-La Intruder 1999 (Rubric Records)
- Multi Kontra Culti vs. Irony - September 2002 (Rubric Records), 2XLP - December 2006
- Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike - August 2005 (SideOneDummy Records), 2XLP - March 2006
- Super Taranta! - 10 July 2007 (SideOneDummy Records) US No. 115, UK No. 67, 2XLP - July 2007
- Live from Axis Mundi - 2009 (SideOneDummy Records), Live album with DVD
- Trans-Continental Hustle - 27 April 2010 (American Recordings) UK # 66, US No. 62, CAN No. 79
- [My Tsyganiada] - 2011
- Pura Vida Conspiracy - 2013 (ATO)
- East Infection - January 2005 (Rubric Records)
- Moja Tsiganiada ( ), also known as Russo, a Russian and Ukrainian-language album - 2011 (Extra Estrada Records)
- When the Trickster Starts a-Poking - 2002, Rubric Records
- Start Wearing Purple / Sally - February 2006, SideOneDummy Records
- Not a Crime - August 2006, SideOneDummy
- Wonderlust King - August 2007, SideOneDummy, No. 11 UK Indie
- Immigraniada (We Comin Rougher) - 2010, American Records
- Punk Rock Strike Vol. 4 - 2003. Springman Records.
- 2005 Warped Tour Compilation - 2005. SideOneDummy Records.
- 2006 Warped Tour Compilation - 2006. SideOneDummy Records.
- Gypsy Beats and Balkan Bangers - 2006. Atlantic Jaxx.
- The Rough Guide to Planet Rock - 2006. World Music Network.
- 2007 Warped Tour Compilation - 2007. SideOneDummy Records.
- Gogol Bordello vs. Tamir Muskat - August 2004. A collaboration between Gogol Bordello and members of Balkan Beat Box, under the name J.U.F., an initialism for Jewish-Ukrainian Freundschaft. Stinky Records.
- The Prester John Sessions Tommy T - 2009. Solo album by Gogol Bordello's Ethiopian bassist Thomas Gobena with guest appearances by the band, and Ethiopian singer Gigi. Easy Star
- In 2011, Eugene Hutz contributed a version of the track "A Cidade" in collaboration with DJ Dolores, Otto, Isaar, and Fred 04 the Red Hot Organization's most recent charitable album "Red Hot+Rio 2." The album is a follow-up to the 1996 "Red Hot + Rio." Proceeds from the sales will be donated to raise awareness and money to fight AIDS/HIV and related health and social issues.
- Gogol Bordello at bbc.co.uk. www.bbc.co.uk (22 June 2007). Retrieved on 2007-07-09.
- Gogol Bordello liefern "Coca-Cola-Hymne" zur EM. Relevant.at. Retrieved on 2012-09-05.
- 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 "Gogol Bordello: Music from 'Gypsy Punks'." In Performance. 2006-04-29.
- Ponce, Gina (August 2010). Gogol Bordello: nthWORD Exclusive.
- Gogol Bordello: "Let's geht Crazy" mit der Hymne der Euro 2012. Heute.at (2012-05-22). Retrieved on 2012-09-05.
- "Filth and Wisdom (2008)" at IMDb, retrieved 2007 August 7
- "Larger Than Life in 3D" at IMDb, retrieved 2010 January 7
- Tampa Bay, Florida news | Tampa Bay Times/St. Pete Times. Blogs.tampabay.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-24.
- Grain: A short film by Carl Denham. YouTube (2011-06-16). Retrieved on 2012-09-05.
- Gogol Bordello. Official MySpace Page. MySpace.com (11/10/2006). Retrieved on 2006-10-11.
- Cooper, Ryan (2007). An Interview with Eugene Hutz of Gogol Bordello. About.com. Retrieved on 2007-09-09.
- [Gogol Bordello at All Music Guide Billboard], Allmusic
- Music. Gogol Bordello. Retrieved on 2012-09-05.
- "Wanderlust King: Released on Sideonedummy Records"
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Gogol Bordello
- Official website
- Official Forum
- [Gogol Bordello at All Music Guide AllMusic Entry]
- Interview at NPR's Studio 4A (2006) with several songs performed
- Interview for nthWORD Magazine by Gina Ponce, August 2010
|Eugene Hütz · Sergey Ryabtsev · Yuri Lemeshev · Oren Kaplan · Thomas Gobena · Eliot Ferguson · Pamela Racine · Elizabeth Sun · Pedro Erazo|
|Studio albums||Voi-La Intruder · Multi Kontra Culti vs. Irony · Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike · Super Taranta!|
|Singles||"When the Trickster Starts a-Poking" · "Start Wearing Purple"/Sally" · "Not a Crime" · "Wonderlust King"|
|Related articles||Gypsy punk · Everything Is Illuminated · Wristcutters: A Love Story · The Pied Piper of Hützovina · Filth and Wisdom · J.U.F. · Rubric Records · SideOneDummy Records|