New Irish Chamber Orchestra
Links www.irishchamberorchestra.com (English)
Irish Chamber Orchestra
The Irish Chamber Orchestra (ICO) is an Irish classical music ensemble, administratively based at the University of Limerick. The ICO primarily gives concerts at the University Concert Hall, Limerick and at the RDS (Royal Dublin Society) Concert Hall, Dublin. The ICO has also performed in other Irish cities, including Tuam, Wexford, Kinsale, Skibereen, Portmagee, Kilkee, Castleblaney, Omagh, Sligo, Clifden, Ennis Roscrea and Thurles.
János Fürst founded the ICO in 1963. The ICO consisted only of strings as its regular ensemble for many years, adding wind, brass and percussion players on a freelance basis when needed. The ICO was reformed in 1970 under the name of the New Irish Chamber Orchestra and the principal conductorship of André Prieur. The orchestra first toured North American in 1978. In 1995, the orchestra was again reconstituted, reverting to its original name of the Irish Chamber Orchestra. The ICO formally added horn players and an oboist to its roster in 2008.
Other artistic directors and music directors of the ICO have included Nicholas Kraemer (1986-1992), Fionnuala Hunt (1995-2002) and Nicholas McGegan (2002-2005). The most recent artistic director was violinist Anthony Marwood, who was named the ICO's Artistic Director in April 2005 and formally assumed the post in January 2006. Marwood concluded his tenure after the 2010-2011 season. The ICO's current principal guest conductor is Jörg Widmann.
The ICO has recorded commercially for the Black Box label. The former New Irish Chamber Orchestra made commercial recordings for the Pickwick label, a recording of the two Mozart flute concerti with James Galway, and for the Onyx label, piano concertos of John Field with John O'Conor.
Music Directors and Artistic Directors
- János Fürst
- André Prieur
- Nicholas Kraemer (Artistic Director, 1986-1992)
- Fionnuala Hunt (Music Director, 1995-2002)
- Nicholas McGegan (Music Director, 2002-2005)
- Anthony Marwood (Artistic Director, 2006-2011)
- Martin Anderson, Obituary for Janos Furst, The Independent, 2007-01-10. URL accessed on 2011-10-16.
- Boydell, Brian (JuneSeptember 1984). "Half a Century of Music in Dublin". Dublin Historical Record 37 (3/4): 117121.
- Take a bow, The Irish Times, 1997-06-07. URL accessed on 2011-10-18.
- Ben Mattison, Irish Chamber Orchestra Names Music Director, Playbill Arts, 2005-04-28. URL accessed on 2011-10-16.
- Michael Dervan, Roewer, ICO/Marwood, The Irish Times, 2011-04-19. URL accessed on 2011-10-18.
- Michael Dungan, ICO/Widmann, The Irish Times, 2012-04-27. URL accessed on 2012-05-13.
- Official Irish Chamber Orchestra website
- Classics Today.com review of Black Box 1013
- Concert programme from 21 November 1978, University Musical Society of the University of Michigan, New Irish Chamber Orchestra concert in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA