Dave Weckl Band
Dave Weckl (born January 8, 1960) is an American jazz fusion drummer and leader of the Dave Weckl Band. He was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame in 2000.
Weckl attended Francis Howell High School in St. Charles, Missouri, and graduated in 1978. He majored in jazz studies at the University of Bridgeport in Connecticut. Starting out on the New York fusion scene in the early 1980s, Weckl soon began working with artists such as Paul Simon, Madonna, George Benson, Michel Camilo, Robert Plant and Anthony Jackson. His most famous early work though, where his popularity blossomed, was with the Chick Corea Elektric Band from 1985 to 1991.
Weckl spent a total of seven years with Corea, during which he performed on many albums and also appeared with Corea's Akoustic Band. He augmented his work with Corea by continuing his session work and appearing often with the GRP All-Star Big Band. He recorded four albums in 1988 and 1989 with the Manhattan Jazz Quintet. Weckl has released a series of instructional videotapes, and in 1990, he led his first solo date, Master Plan, for GRP. Heads Up followed in 1992, as well as Hard-Wired in 1994.
After leaving Corea's band, Weckl recorded and toured with guitarist Mike Stern. Under his own name, he has been the leader of twelve recordings since 1990, seven of which as the Dave Weckl Band. He currently resides in Los Angeles, California, where he has his own home studio.
- 1990 – Master Plan (GRP)
- 1992 – Heads Up (GRP)
- 1993 – J.K. Special (Lipstick)
- 1994 – Hard Wired (GRP)
Dave Weckl Band:
- 1998 – Rhythm of the Soul (Stretch)
- 1999 – Synergy (Stretch)
- 2000 – Transition (Stretch)
- 2001 – The Zone (Stretch)
- 2002 – Perpetual Motion (Stretch)
- 2003 – Live (And Very Plugged In) (Stretch)
- 2005 – Multiplicity (Stretch)
Dave Weckl and Jay Oliver:
- 2014 – Convergence
The Dave Weckl Acoustic Band:
- 2015 – Of the Same Mind
- Magic Fingers (DMP, 1989)
- 1988 – Back to Basics (DCI music)
- 1990 – The Next Step (DCI music)
- 1993 – Working It Out: Latin Percussion I - With Walfredo Reyes, Sr. (DCI music)
- 1993 – Working It Out: Latin Percussion II - With Walfredo Reyes, Sr. (DCI Music)
- 2000 – How to Develop Your Own Sound (Carl Fischer publishing)
- 2000 – How to Practice (Carl Fischer publishing)
- 2000 – How to Develop Technique (Carl Fischer publishing)
- 1988 – Back to Basics
- 1992 – The Next Step (Manhattan Music)
- 1994 – Contemporary Drummer + One (Manhattan Music)
- 1997 – Ultimate Play-Along for Drums level I vol. I (Alfred Publishing Company)
- 1997 – Ultimate Play-Along for Drums level I vol. II (Alfred Publishing Company)
- 2001 – In Session with the Dave Weckl Band (Carl Fischer Music)
- 2004 – Exercises for Natural Playing (Carl Fischer Music)
- "Modern Drummer's Readers Poll Archive, 1979–2014". Modern Drummer. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- Freedman, Stefanee (March 9, 2006). "Dave Weckl: Rhythm Talk". AllAboutJazz.com. Retrieved March 27, 2010.
- Huey, Steve. "Dave Weckl biography". Allmusic. Retrieved March 27, 2010.
- "Dave Weckl at All About Jazz". Archived from the original on October 13, 2009. Retrieved March 27, 2010.
- Weckl profile, pledgemusic.com; accessed August 4, 2015.
- Dave Weckl profile, Drummerworld; accessed August 4, 2015.
- Dave Weckl profile, OnlineDrummer.com; accessed August 4, 2015.
- Dave Weckl Interview NAMM Oral History Library (2008)