born on 17/9/1962 in Detroit, MI, United States
|Birth name||Benjamin Winans|
|Also known as||BeBe|
|Born||September 17 1962|
|Origin||Detroit, Michigan, U.S.|
|Genres||Gospel, R&B, Adult contemporary, Soul|
|Occupations||Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Actor|
|Labels|| PTL Records (1984-1987)
Atlantic Records (1997-1998)
Motown Records (1999-2003)
Still Waters/Hidden Beach (2004-2006)
The Movement Group (2004-present)
|Associated acts|| CeCe Winans
Benjamin "BeBe" Winans (born 17 September 1962) is a gospel and R&B singer. He is a member of the noted Winans family, most members of which are also gospel artists.
The PTL Club
He released several albums, first with his sister CeCe Winans, and later as a solo artist. Jim Bakker's television show "The PTL Club" took interest in BeBe and his sister CeCe as background vocalists for the show. After going to North Carolina to audition they were accepted. BeBe and CeCe moved to the PTL campus in North Carolina, and were on the show for about five years.
During their time on PTL, BeBe and CeCe recorded "Lord Lift Us Up" on PTL's label after popular demand on the show. Eventually the success warranted another effort: a full length album. The album did well on the charts. BeBe and CeCe left PTL to pursue their singing career and recorded five albums together including self titled BeBe & CeCe Winans, Heaven, Different Lifestyles, First Christmas and Relationships. In 1995, BeBe and CeCe split up to pursue solo careers. But in 2009 they did the album "Still" together. On it was the song "Close to You," which won a Dove award in 2010 in the category of Urban Recorded Song (in a tie).
In 1989, BeBe won His First Grammy for Best Soul Gospel Performance, Male for his contribution to "Abundant Life", a track on his brother Ronald's Family & Friends Choir.
BeBe signed with Atlantic records and delivered a self-titled solo debut in 1997. The album featured the singles "In Harms' Way", "Thank You", and the international crossover hit "I Wanna Be the Only One" featuring British soul trio Eternal.
The next album released was the fruit of a new deal with Motown Records. Love & Freedom was released in 2000 and featured production from Warryn Campbell, Brian McKnight, Masters At Work and others. The lead single "Coming Back Home" was a slow swinging ballad featuring R&B luminaries Brian McKnight and Joe. Another single was BeBe's remake of the Stevie Wonder classic "Jesus Children of America" featuring his older brother Marvin (The Winans, Winans family) and Stevie Wonder himself.
Two years later, a live album Live & Up Close followed. The album was recorded live at BET studios and featured guests such as his sister Debra Winans-Lowe and Stephanie Mills. The set was released on both CD & DVD. The CD included the studio version of "Do You Know Him?" which served as the album's first single.
By 2003, BeBe had started his own record label, The Movement Group, and partnered with Still Waters, an inspirational and gospel imprint of Hidden Beach Recordings. The first album under this deal was 2004's largely orchestral holiday album entitled My Christmas Prayer which first appeared exclusively for sale at Starbucks coffee shops nationwide. Between releases, BeBe made his film debut with a small role in the 2004 remake (featuring Denzel Washington) of The Manchurian Candidate.
Early the next year, BeBe released his third proper solo album Dream featuring the single "I Have A Dream". The song featured samples of the historic speech by Martin Luther King, and was released to several radio stations to coincide with King's birthday celebrations. The cover of the album features a hand painted portrait of BeBe standing in front of a Martin Luther King Jr Blvd. street sign. Also "Miracle Of Love," a duet with Angie Stone included on the album, also appeared on a soundtrack of songs inspired by the film The Passion Of The Christ.
Winans performed a duet with Eden Espinosa on the 2008 Alma Awards which was broadcast on ABC on September 12. 2008. WInans and Espinosa sang "I Don't Know Much" as a tribute to honoree Linda Ronstadt. Bebe performed "Born for This" on the Obama/Biden Inauguration tribute Change is Now CD+DVD set. BeBe & CeCe Winans have confirmed a reunion album scheduled for early 2009.
He currently hosts his own nationally syndicated radio program, The BeBe Winans Radio Show. BeBe Winans is currently starring in Broadway's The Color Purple as Harpo as of January 9, 2008. He is starring alongside Chaka Khan who is playing his wife, Sofia.
BeBe is currently one of the judges for a Gospel music competition show on BET called, "Sunday Best" along with gospel duo Mary Mary. He was invited to participate in the remake of We Are The World to benefit Haiti after the earthquake. Bebe Winans together with Cece Winans and Mary Mary featuring the West Angeles Choir performed on The Tonight Show With Jay Leno 
In November 2007, BeBe Winans filed suit in Davidson County (Tenn.) Circuit Court against his former business manager, Eric Peterson. His claims included breach of a managerial contract and of fiduciary duties, as well as fraud. Peterson managed Winans from early 2002 until early 2007. In the lawsuit, a copy of which is available through this link, Winans asserted that Peterson stole from him and took advantage of his trust. An example given by Winans was that in February 2002, "Mr. Peterson induced Mr. Winans to execute a power of attorney, representing that it was required to permit Mr. Peterson to perform his services. In fact, on December 31, 2004, Mr. Peterson used the power of attorney to execute a promissory note purporting to obligate Mr. Winans to pay Mr. Peterson himself the sum of $150,000."
BeBe Winans was arrested March 11, 2009 on charges of domestic assault for allegedly pushing his ex-wife to the ground in front of their children during an argument. According to a court filing, Winans and his former spouse got into a "verbal altercation" on February 13 about "custody issues dealing with their children."
On December 4, 2009, the domestic assault criminal charges against Bebe Winans were dismissed. An AP news report indicates the court action resulted from a pre-trial diversion deal offered by the prosecution, calling for Winans to attend domestic violence counseling in exchange for dismissal of the charges.
- BeBe Winans (Sparrow/Atlantic, 1997)
- Love & Freedom (Motown, 2000)
- Live and Up Close (Motown, 2002)
- My Christmas Prayer (The Movement Group/Still Waters/Hidden Beach, 2004)
- Dream (The Movement Group/Still Waters/Hidden Beach, 2005)
- Cherch (The Movement Group, 2007)
- TBA (2012)
Albums with CeCe Winans
- Lord Lift Us Up (PTL, 1984)
- BeBe And CeCe Winans (Sparrow/Capitol, 1987)
- Heaven (Sparrow/Capitol, 1988)
- Different Lifestyles (Sparrow/Capitol, 1991)
- First Christmas (Sparrow/Capitol, 1993)
- Relationships (Sparrow/Capitol, 1994)
- Greatest Hits (Sparrow/EMI, 1996)
- The Best Of BeBe And CeCe (Sparrow, 2006)
- Still (B&C/ Malaco, 2009) #1 (Gospel), #2 (R&B),#14 (US Pop)
- "All Of Me" (Myrrh, 1996)
- "In Harm's Way" (Atlantic, 1997)
- "Thank You" (Atlantic, 1997)
- "Stay" (Atlantic, 1997)
- "I Wanna Be The Only One (featuring Eternal)" (Atlantic/EMI, 1997)
- "Coming Back Home" (Motown, 2000)
- "Jesus Children Of America" (Motown, 2000)
- "Tonight Tonight" (Motown, 2000)
- "Do You Know Him" (Motown, 2002)
- "I Have A Dream" (TMG/Still Waters, 2005)
- "Safe From Harm" (TMG/Still Waters, 2005)
- "Love Me Anyway" (TMG/Still Waters, 2005)
- "Golden Opportunity" from Tomorrow (Light, 1984) with The Winans
- "Give Him Thanks" from Face To Face by Scott V. Smith (Light, 1984) with The Winans
- "Love Is You" from Daniel Winans & Second Half (A&M, 1987) duet with Marvin Winans
- "Its Only Natural" and "Arms Of Love" Kaleidoscope (Dayspring, 1986) with Keith Thomas
- "Do You Feel Their Pain?" from Justice (Sparrow, 1989) duet with Steve Camp
- "Abundant Life" from Ron Winans Family & Friends Choir VOL I (Selah, 1987)
- "A Song Of Concecration" from Ron Winans Family & Friends Choir VOL III (Selah, 1991)
- "But God" from Ron Winans Family & Friends Choir VOL IV (Selah, 1996)
- "All Of Me" from My Utmost For His Highest: The Covenant (Myrrh, 1996)
- "Stay With Me" from The Prince Of Egypt: Inspirational (Dreamworks, 2000)
- "I Don't Want To Be Wrong Today" from We Are Family 2007: Artists & Friends for Hurricane Relief (Point of Light Foundation, 2007)
- "Broken Bridges" 2006 CMT Film, sang with Willie Nelson and Toby Keith
- "He's On Your Side" duet with Monique Walker on the Hezekiah Walker & The Love Fellowship Choir recording, Live in Atlanta (Benson, 1994)
- "We Are The World" 2010
- "He Watches Over You" (1993?) duet with Sandi Patty
- "I Will Follow Christ" (1999) trio with Bob Carlisle and Clay Crosse
- BeBe Winans albums
- BeBe and CeCe Winans albums
- The Winans Family
- BeBe Winans: Love & Freedom. GospelFlava.com.
- BeBe Winans: Live And Up Close. GospelFlava.com.
- BeBe Winans' New Record Label: Movement Detected on Still Watrers. GospelCity.com (September 12, 2003).
- Starbucks Hear Music, Bebe Winans and Hidden Beach Join Together to Offer Holiday CD Exclusively at Starbucks Stores, Business Wire, 2004-11-08.
- BeBe Winans to release Dream in February. GospelCity.com (November 17, 2004).
- Hidden Beach Recordings Celebrates the MLK Holiday and King's Historic Speech with Special Radio Broadcasts of the Grammy-Nominated BeBe Winans Recording ``I Have A Dream, Business Wire, 2006-01-13.
- The 'Dream' Of BeBe Winans, CBS News, 2005-04-09.
- Cece Winans and Bebe Winans on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
- Whitehouse, Ken, Gospel royalty files suit against former business manager, NashvillePost.com, 2007-11-21. URL accessed on 2007-11-23.
- Template error: argument title is required.
- CeCe Winans Website
- Tonight Tonight Single Listing
- www.bebewinans.net - The official BeBe Winans Internet site
- www.beberadio.com The official BeBe Winans Radio Show Internet site
Template:BeBe & CeCe Winans