born on 14/9/1950 in London, United Kingdom
died on 19/3/1976 in Los Angeles, CA, United States
Paul Francis Kossoff (14 September 1950 – 19 March 1976) was an English pop music guitarist, who was a member of the band Free.
He was ranked 51st in Rolling Stone magazine list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time".
Kossoff was the son of Margaret (Jenkins) and the English actor David Kossoff. His father was of Russian-Jewish descent. Kossoff started playing the guitar in the mid-1960s, being taught by session guitarist Colin Falconer, and at age 15 was a founder member of the band Black Cat Bones. The band played with touring blues piano player Champion Jack Dupree, often supporting Fleetwood Mac and other gigs with Fleetwood Mac co-founder Peter Green. Kossoff's bandmate in 'Black Cat Bones' was drummer Simon Kirke, and the two went on to play on Champion Jack Dupree's April 1968 album When You Feel the Feeling You Was Feeling.
Kossoff's unhappiness with the end of Free and his drug addictions contributed to a drastic decline in his health. On a flight from Los Angeles to New York on 19 March 1976 he died from a pulmonary embolism, after a blood clot in his leg moved to his lung. His body was subsequently returned back England, where it was cremated and its ashes interred at Golders Green Crematorium. His epitaph reads there reads: "All Right Now".
One of Kossoff's guitars, a 1957 Fender Stratocaster, was bought after his death by Dave Murray of the band Iron Maiden and was used by Murray from 1978 to 1990.
- Tons of Sobs (1969)
- Free (1969)
- Fire and Water (1970)
- Highway (1970)
- Free Live! (1971)
- Free at Last (1972)
- Heartbreaker (1973)
Paul Kossoff, Simon Kirke, Tetsu Yamauchi, John "Rabbit" Bundrick
- Kossoff Kirke Tetsu Rabbit (1972)
- Back Street Crawler (1973)
- Koss (1977) 2LP compilation
- Blue Soul (1986) 2LP compilation
Back Street Crawler
- The Band Plays On (1975)
- 2nd Street (1976)
- Live at Croydon Fairfield Halls 15/6/75 (1983) 2LP
- (Note: after Kossoff's death, the band now called simply 'Crawler' made further albums)
- "100 Greatest Guitarists: David Fricke's Picks: Paul Kossoff". The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time. Rolling Stone.
- Dimery, Robert; and Macdonald, Bruno. Rock Connections: The Complete Family Tree of Rock 'n' Roll, p. 94. HarperCollins, 2010. ISBN 0-06-196655-X. Accessed 1 September 2011. "Green befriended another Anglo-Jewish guitar player Paul Kossoff, who formed Free"
- Barker, Dennis. "David Kossoff: Actor and storyteller who charmed audiences on stage, screen, radio and in books", The Guardian, 24 March 2005. Accessed 1 September 2011.
- Barker, Dennis (24 March 2005). "Obituary: David Kossoff". The Guardian.
- "Champion Jack Dupree discography". WeGoNews.com. Retrieved 2011-10-30.
- "Paul Kossoff". Find A Grave. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "Iron Maiden's Dave Murray Talks About His 1957 Fender Stratocaster Guitar". Blabbermouth.net. blabbermouth.net. May 7, 2008. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- Clayton, David, and Todd K. Smith. Heavy Load: The Story of Free. London: Moonshine Publishing, 2002. ISBN 978-0-9542169-0-0.
- Guerra, Tom. Paul Kossoff - Biography. Paul Kossoff - The Back Street Crawler Vintage Guitar Magazine, 2000.
- Paul Kossoff Website