born on 20/5/1943 in West Norwood, London, United Kingdom
Links www.allmusic.com (English)
Terry Smith (guitarist)
|Terry Smith (guitarist)|
Terence "Terry" Smith (born 20 May 1943, West Norwood, South-East London) is a British jazz guitarist.
Twice winner of the Melody Maker Music Polls, Smith spent the early 1960s playing with the Tony Lee Trio, before becoming Scott Walker's musical director and accompanying The Walker Brothers on their Japan tour in 1968. Returning to the UK, he recorded a solo album, Fall Out (1968), which was produced by Scott Walker, and backed by UK jazz musicians of the day such as Kenny Wheeler, Les Condon, Ronnie Ross, Ronnie Stephenson, Gordon Beck, Ron Mathewson, Chris Karan, and Ray Warleigh. Smith went on to join the U.S. soul singer J.J. Jackson's Greatest Little Soul Band in the Land, with whom he recorded two LPs: The Greatest Little Soul Band in the Land (1969) and J.J. Jackson's Dilemma (1970).
Around that time he also appeared with Morrissey and other top British jazz musicians on Brother Jack McDuff's Blue Note recording To Seek a New Home (1970).
Smith went on to record five albums with If's original line-up, as well as touring the U.S. and Europe extensively. Following the break-up of If's first line-up, he co-founded another British band, ZZebra, also with Dave Quincy from If.
He met up again with Dick Morrissey and they appear together with leading Swedish jazz musicians and pop singer Tommy Körberg for a live recording Dont Get Around Much Anymore - Live at Bullerbyn (1975).
In 1981, Smith formed his own Blues Band in 1982 with Jo Ann Kelly (vocals), Tony Ashton (organ) and Micky Waller (drums). As of October 2006, he is still active on the UK jazz circuit.
- 1968: Fall Out
- 1975: Don't Get Around Much Anymore Live at Bullerbyn
- 1977: Terry Smith with the Tony Lee Trio - with Tony Lee (piano), Tony Archer (bass), Martin Drew (drums)
- 2008: Tenderly - The Terry Smith Trio
- If (1970)
- If 2 (1970)
- If 3 (1971)
- If 4 (1972)
- Waterfall (1972)
- Forgotten Roads: The Best of IF (1995)
- Europe '72 (Live) (released 1997)
- The Greatest Little Soul Band in the Land (1969) with J. J. Jackson
- J.J. Jackson's Dilemma (1970) with J. J. Jackson
- To Seek a New Home (1970) - Brother Jack McDuff
- 1.0 1.1 Unterberger, Richie. [Terry Smith (guitarist) at All Music Guide Terry Smith: Biography]. Allmusic. Retrieved on 2010-03-22.
- Billboard Vol. 83, N.º 17 - 24 April 1971 ISSN 0006-2510
- Allmusic review
|J.W. Hodkinson · John Mealing · Dennis Elliott · Dave Quincy · Jim Richardson · Terry Smith · Cliff Davies(deceased) · Dave Wintour · Pete Arnesen · Kurt Palomacki · Steve Rosenthal · Dick Morrissey(deceased) · Fi Trench · Gabriel Magno · Walt Monaghan · Geoff Whitehorn · Mike Tomich · Dave Greenslade|
|Studio albums||If (1970) · If 2 (1970) · If 3 (1971) · If 4 (1972) · Waterfall (1972) · Double Diamond (1973) · Not Just Another Bunch of Pretty Faces (1974) · Tea Break Over, Back on Your 'Eads (1975)|
|Compilations||Forgotten Roads: The Best of If (1995) · Europe '72 (Live) (1997)|