born on 30/12/1953 in Birkenhead, Merseyside, United Kingdom
Links en.wikipedia.org (German)
Vick coaches the Birmingham Opera Company chorus during a rehearsal
|Born||December 30 1953
|Alma mater||Royal Northern College of Music|
Graham Vick CBE (born Birkenhead, 30 December 1953) is an English opera director. He studied at the Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester.
Life and career
At age 24, Vick directed a production of Gustav Holst's Savitri for Scottish Opera, and became the company's director of productions in 1984. In 1987, he founded the Birmingham Opera Company and remains its artistic director. From 1994 to 2000, Vick was director of productions at Glyndebourne Opera.
Vick directs opera throughout Europe and America where he is one of the most prominent and prolific of contemporary opera directors.
Vick was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2009 Birthday Honours.
Many of Vick's productions can be seen on DVD including Lulu (Glyndebourne, 2004) Warner Music Vision B000189L10, and Falstaff (Covent Garden, 2001) Opus Arte B00005NUP8.
- Laura Barnett, Portrait of the artist: Graham Vick, opera director, The Guardian, 23 October 2007. URL accessed on 2007-12-24.
- Graham Vick, Enter the fat lady, The Guardian, 20 October 2003. URL accessed on 2007-12-24.
- Samantha Ellis, Mass production, The Guardian, 7 April 2003. URL accessed on 2007-12-24.
- London Gazette: , 13 June 2009.
- Vick, Graham by Barry Millington, in 'The New Grove Dictionary of Opera', ed. Stanley Sadie (London, 1992) ISBN 0-333-73432-7
- Jasper Rees, 'La traviata: A Nuremberg-style display of synchronised chair-swivelling', The Daily Telegraph, October 25, 2007 
- Edward Rothstein, 'In New Hall, Echoes of Glyndebourne Old', New York Times, June 4, 1994 
- Martin Bernheimer, 'Living Dangerously' (Profile of Graham Vick), Opera News, June 2000 
- Hamilton, Mary. (1990). A-Z of Opera. New York, Oxford, Sydney: Facts On File. p. 212. ISBN 0-8160-2340-9.
- Sadie, Stanley and John Tyrrell. (2001). The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians. London: Macmillan Publishers Ltd. Vol. 26, p. 530. ISBN 0-333-60800-3.
- Warrack, John and Ewan West. (1996 3rd ed.). The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Opera. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 538. ISBN 0-19-280028-0.