born on 1/4/1965 in Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom
Beth Gibbons (born 4 January 1965) is an English singer and songwriter. She is the singer and lyricist for the English band Portishead.
Gibbons was born in 1965 in Exeter, Devon and raised on a farm with two other sisters. Her parents divorced when she was young. At 22, she moved to Bath, then Bristol to pursue her singing career, where she met Geoff Barrow, her future collaborator in Portishead. She sings in the contralto range.
With Adrian Utley, Gibbons and Barrow released the first Portishead album Dummy in 1994 and have produced two other studio albums, a live album, and various singles in the years since. She has also collaborated on a separate project with former Talk Talk bassist Paul Webb (Rustin Man). Before she joined Geoff Barrow in Portishead, she had auditioned for the singer's slot in .O.rang, the group formed by Webb after Talk Talk's late-Eighties departure from EMI, but Portishead's sudden success pre-empted matters. In October 2002, they released the album Out of Season in the United Kingdom. The album peaked at number 28 in the UK Albums Chart. It was released in the United States a year later.
She has cited Nina Simone, Edith Piaf, Sugarcubes, Pixies and Elizabeth Fraser of the Cocteau Twins as musical influences.
Gibbons was also a judge for the 10th annual Independent Music Awards to support independent artists' careers.
In June 2013, Gibbons announced plans for a new solo album with Domino Records.
- Dummy (1994)
- Portishead (1997)
- Roseland NYC Live (1998)
- Third (2008)
- Out of Season (2002) with Rustin Man
- "Orang" on .O.rang's album Herd of Instinct (1994)
- "Jalap" on .O.rang's album Fields and Waves (1996)
- "Lonely Carousel" on Rodrigo Leão's album Cinema
- "Strange Melody" on Jane Birkin's album Rendez-Vous
- "Killing Time" on Joss Stone's Mind, Body & Soul
- Soundtrack for Diane Bertrand's film "L'Annulaire" (unreleased, 2005)
- "My Secret" on Jane Birkin's album Fictions
- "Stranger in this Land" on Fried's album Fried
- "Sing" with Annie Lennox from Songs of Mass Destruction
- Soundtrack for Diane Bertrand's film Baby Blues
- "Requiem for Anna" on Monsieur Gainsbourg Revisited - performed as Portishead
- Soundtrack for Julie Taymor's film "The Tempest (2010 film)" - "Prospera's Coda" by Elliot Goldenthal
- "Mysteries" with Rustin Man from "The Russian Dolls" soundtrack
- Full Beth Gibbons Biography. Perfect People.
- Summer Festival Guide: PORTISHEAD. Themusic.com.au. Retrieved on 2012-05-15.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums, 19th, London: Guinness World Records Limited.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Beth Gibbons
- Beth Gibbons at MySpace
- Beth Gibbons at the Internet Movie Database
- Guardian: Portishead (02/2008)
|Geoff Barrow · Beth Gibbons · Adrian Utley|
|Studio albums||Dummy · Portishead · Third|
|Live albums||Roseland NYC Live|
|Short films||To Kill a Dead Man|
|Singles||"Numb" · "Sour Times" · "Glory Box" · "All Mine" · "Over" · "Only You" · "Machine Gun" ·"The Rip" ·"Magic Doors"|
|Related articles||Discography · Out of Season|