born on 30/12/1978
Tyrese Darnell Gibson (born December 30, 1978), also known simply as Tyrese, is an American R&B singer, rapper, actor, author, former fashion model and MTV VJ. After releasing several albums, he transitioned into films, with lead roles in several Hollywood releases.
Gibson grew up in the Watts district of Los Angeles, California. His mother, Priscilla Murray Gibson (née Durham), raised him and his three older siblings as a single parent after Gibson's father, Lurk Gibson, left. Gibson's career began when he was discovered on a bus. An appearance in a 1994 Coca-Cola advertisement, singing the phrase "Always Coca-Cola", led to bigger fame.
As an actor, he rose into prominence when he starred in John Singleton's Baby Boy in 2001, which Singleton confirmed "A prequel of Boyz n the Hood" in which he wrote and directed 10 years earlier in 1991, receiving an Academy Award nomination. Tupac Shakur was originally chosen to play the character of Joseph "Jody" Summers, but the role landed into Gibson's hands after his death. Baby Boy co-starred with Taraji P. Henson and Snoop Dogg and was a blockbuster hit. The film lead Gibson into doing two more films with the director in 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003), opposite Paul Walker and Eva Mendes, and Four Brothers (2005), with Mark Wahlberg, André Benjamin, and Garrett Hedlund. Both films were box-office hits in the summers of 2003 and 2005, respectively. Gibson went on to act in Waist Deep in 2006, starring Meagan Good. In 2007, he co-starred with the ensemble cast of Shia LaBeouf, Josh Duhamel, John Turturro, Megan Fox, Anthony Anderson and Jon Voight in Transformers, Directed and produced by Michael Bay, with Steven Spielberg as the executive producer. It was a blockbuster smash that led to two more successful sequels; in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) and Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011), playing his role of USAF Master Sergeant Robert Epps. In 2008, he co-starred with Jason Statham in Death Race, Legion in 2010, the same year he appeared in the music video "Telephone" by Lady Gaga feat. Beyoncé. In 2011, he reprised his role of Roman Pearce in Fast Five , which was set in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Tyrese has spoken out on paternal involvement in child rearing, writing a poem on fatherhood and appearing on HLN in June, 2012.
- Main article: Tyrese discography
- Tyrese (1998)
- 2000 Watts (2001)
- I Wanna Go There (2002)
- Alter Ego (2006)
- Open Invitation (2011)
|2000||Love Song||Mad Rage / Skip|
|2001||Baby Boy||Joseph Summers|
|2003||2 Fast 2 Furious||Roman Pearce|
|2004||Flight of the Phoenix||AJ|
|2005||Four Brothers||Angel Mercer|
|2007||The Take||Adell Baldwin|
|2008||Death Race||Machine Gun Joe|
|2009||Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen||Robert Epps|
|2011||Fast Five||Roman Pearce|
|2011||Transformers: Dark of the Moon||Robert Epps|
|2013||Fast Six||Roman Pearce|
|1996||Hangin' with Mr. Cooper||Darrell|
|1998||The Parent 'Hood||Coop|
|1999||MTV Beach House|
|2010||La La's Full Court Wedding||Himself|
|1999||Monica||"Angel of Mine"|
|2009||Chris Brown||"I Can Transform Ya"|
- American Music Awards
- 2000, Favorite New R&B/Soul Artist: (Winner)
- Black Movie Awards
- 2006, Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Waist Deep (Nominated)
- Black Reel Awards
- 2006, Best Ensemble: Four Brothers (Nominated)
- 2002, Best Song: "Just a Baby Boy" from Baby Boy w/ Mr. Tan & Snoop Dogg (Nominated)
- 2002, Best Actor: Baby Boy (Nominated)
- Grammy Awards
- 2013, Best R&B Album: "Open Invitation" (Pending)
- 2004, Best R&B Male Vocal Performance: "How U Gonna Act Like That" (Nominated) (released December 17, 2002)
- 2000, Best R&B Male Vocal Performance: "Sweet Lady" (Nominated)
- Image Awards
- 2002, Outstanding Hip-Hop Artist: 2000 Watts (Nominated)
- 2002, Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture: Baby Boy (Nominated)
- 2002, Outstanding Performance in a Variety Show: The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (Nominated)
- 2012, Pinnacle Award, Trumpet Awards (Award Recipient)
- Literary Awards
- 2011, Best Writer, African-American Literary Award, Category: Self-Help, "How To Get Out of Your Own Way" (Nominated)
- Soul Train Awards
- 2012, Song of the Year: "Stay" (Award Recipient)
- Actor, author brian urges students to build on ideas. University of Delaware (29 September 2011). Retrieved on 28 May 2012.
- Benjamin Meadows-Ingram, Backbeat: Tyrese Plays New Album 'Open Invitation' At Virgin's NYC Offices, 'Billboard', 15 September 2011. URL accessed on 28 May 2012.
- Kennedy, Erica (July 2001). "Do Right Man". Vibe 9 (7): 86. ISSN1070-4701.
- R&B Sensation Tyrese, NPR, 4 September 2003. URL accessed on 28 May 2012.
- BallerStatus. Tyrese: Waist Deep. Retrieved on June 19, 2006.
- A Father's Day Poem by Tyrese Gibson. Tyrese's World blog. Retrieved on 2 July 2012.
- Tyrese: There's a black fatherhood crisis, HLNtv.com, 2012-06-15. URL accessed on 2012-07-02.
- 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 8.7 Tyrese Gibson - Awards. IMDb. Retrieved on August 13, 2011.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Tyrese Gibson
- Tyrese Gibson at the Internet Movie Database
- Tyrese Gibson at All Movie Guide
|Studio albums||Tyrese · 2000 Watts · I Wanna Go There · Alter Ego ·|
|Singles||"Nobody Else" · "Lately" · "Sweet Lady" · "The Best Man I Can Be" · "I Like Them Girls" · "What Am I Gonna Do" · "Just A Baby Boy" · "How You Gonna Act Like That" · "Signs Of Love Makin'" · "Pick Up The Phone" · "One" · "Turn Ya Out" "Nobody Do It Better" · "Take Me Away"|
|Featured singles||Pullin' Me Back ·|
|Related Articles||Discography · Filmography · Unrestricted · U-Turn · After The Storm · I Wanna Feel Your Rumba · Blue Streak · Why Did I Get Married? ·"Better Dayz" · Hoodstar · Waist Deep · Respect My Conglomerate|