born in in Providence, KY, United States
died on 13/2/1974 in San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reuben Phillips (died February 13, 1974 in San Juan, Puerto Rico) was an American jazz saxophonist, arranger and bandleader, born in Providence, Kentucky.
After five years as an alto saxophonist with Andy Kirk and his Clouds of Joy, he played with Willis Jackson (1950) then Josephine Baker and Louis Jordan (1951). From 1952, Phillips has been a free lance arranger, musician and band leader in the New York area. He made arrangements for Dinah Washington, Lavern Baker, Ruth Brown, Billy Ward, Earl Bostic, Arnett Cobb among others.
He recorded two albums with his own big band, the house band at the Apollo Theatre on 125th Street in Harlem in the 1960s and 70s.
As a leader
- 1960: Manhattan...3:00 A.M. (Poplar 1003)
- 1961: Big band at the Apollo (Ascot 16004)
As a sideman
- Andy Kirk, Live at the Apollo, 1944–47
- Louis Jordan And his orchestra, 1951
- George Rhodes, Plays Porgy and Bess, 1958
- Willis Jackson, Recording session, 1970
- Erskine Hawkins, Live at Club Soul Sound, 1971