born on 18/2/1972 in Göteborg, Sweden
Links www.jenniferbrown.se (English)
Life and career
When she moved to Stockholm in the 1990s, she started working as a phone receptionist for the Swedish record label, Telegram Records, and this eventually led to a recording contract. Browns 1994 album Giving You The Best peaked at no 1 in the Swedish charts and stayed in the chart for 22 weeks. Her two follow up albums did not sell as well as her debut album, with In My Garden (1997) peaking at no 9 and Vera (1998), peaking at no 8. She has recorded mainly as a solo artist, but also as part of the soul/jazz/pop crew, Blacknuss. The single "Tuesday Afternoon" was a hit single in Scandinavia, and reached #57 in the UK Singles Chart.
Outside Scandinavia her work is perhaps best known through the cover version of her song "Alive", by Paul van Dyk, which was renamed "We Are Alive" and became a hit across Europe in 2000.
After recording four albums she travelled to the United States and spent time in New York and San Francisco, plus she traveled to India. She met the father to her daughter during the film, Förortsungar - Kidz in da Hood. He later left her in the middle of the pregnancy.
In the beginning her music was modern soul and R&B, but later experimented with the acoustic singer-songwriter tradition and radio friendly pop. Her 2009 EP Bloom in November, was inspired by classic Motown sound.
Albums and EPs
- Giving You the Best (1994)
- In My Garden (1997)
- Vera (1999)
- Home (2003)
- Bloom in November EP (2009)
- "Take a Piece of My Heart" (1992)
- "Heaven Come Down" (1993)
- "In My Garden" (1997)
- "When to Hold On" (1997)
- "Alive" (1998)
- "Tuesday Afternoon" (1998)
- "Two in the Morning" (1999)
- "Weak" (2003)
- Kidz in da Hood
- My Space: Jennifer Brown. Retrieved April 26, 2010.
- 2.0 2.1 2.2 Jennifer Brown. Jennifer Brown - Music Biography, Credits and Discography. AllMusic. Retrieved on 2013-02-16.
- 3.0 3.1 3.2 Caroline Geijer (2009-12-27). Jennifer Brown: "Jag har varit så förbannad" - mama. Mama.nu. Retrieved on 2010-06-09.
- Steffen Hung. Discography Jennifer Brown. swedishcharts.com. Retrieved on 2010-06-09.
- Blacknuss Allstars Featuring Jennifer Brown & Titiyo - It Should Have Been You (12", S/Sided) at Discogs. Discogs.com. Retrieved on 2010-06-09.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums, 19th, London: Guinness World Records Limited.
- 7.0 7.1 Lionheart International - Bloom in November [Jennifer Brown, melodifestivalen 2009, svensk soul, bloom]. Lionheart-int.com. Retrieved on 2010-06-09.
- 8.0 8.1 Jennifer Brown Discography at Discogs. Discogs.com (1972-02-18). Retrieved on 2013-02-16.
- Kidz in da Hood. IMDb.com. Retrieved on 2013-02-16.