born on 9/10/1965 in Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
Geir Øystein Lysne (born 9 October 1965 in Trondheim, Norway) is a Norwegian Jazz musician (Saxophone), Flute, Composer, Arranger and a famous Big band leder. .
Geir Lysne is a Norwegian composer, conductor, musician and teacher. He was born in 1965, and educated from the Norwegian Academy of Music with jazz saxophone and composition as main subjects. Lysne is international well known on the big band, wind ensemble, and partly on the classical orchestra scene. He has done more than hundred productions with twenty top professional European ensembles and radio jazz orchestras like NDR big band, HR big band, DR big band, UMO big band, Aarhus Jazz Orchestra, Norwegian Wind Ensemble, all five Norwegian military orchestras etc. With his own Geir Lysne listening ensemble he released four award-winning albums on ACT. 'Boahjenásti' won the German Critics Award in 2006, and was nominated for 'Danish Music Award Jazz' as well. His big band project with Stefano Bollani and NDR big band, released on Universal/Verve, received the Echo award jazz 2013. Besides being assistant professor at the Academy of Music in Oslo, he is a Composer in Residence at the Academy of Music in Luzern 2013-2014. The Norwegian Wind Ensemble has hired Geir as a curator in their real time music series for 2013-2015. With his unique methods in orchestra improvisation, he already has done remarkable success with this classical orchestra. Lysne's compositions have been played on the radio and TV in over 30 countries, and he has also received coverage from many publications including, Die Welt, Jazz podium, Deutschlandfunk and 3sat. He regularly works with other artists, and has conducted tours with well-known artists like Bobby McFerrin, Joe Lovano, Stefano Bollani, Mory Kanté, and [Nils Landgren.
Geir Lysne Listening Ensemble have released six albums, the last five on the German label ACT.
Lysne has been conductor/director on tour with Bobby McFerrin, Joe Lovano, Stefano Bollani, Mory Kanté, Nils Landgren. He is Associate Professor at the Norwegian Academy of Music in Oslo and is a highly sought guest lecturer in Europe.
- «Jahrespreis der Deutschen Schallplattenkritik» with the album «Boahjenásti» with his one compositions
- Nominated the Danish Music Award Jazz with the album «Boahjenásti»
- German Critics Award with the album «Live in Berlin» with his own compositions
- «Echo award jazz» with the album «Bollani big band» with his recompositions of Bollanis music, performed by Bollani, Lysne, NDR big band and Jeff Ballard.
- Spellemannprisen 1990 with Oslo Groove Company
- Nominert for the Edvard Priz (Tono)-2000 for the work M.B. written for Geir Lysne Ensable
Conductor and musical director
As conductor Lysne has worked with a number of national and international ensembles:
- Norddeutscher Rundfunk Big Band (Hamburg)
- Hessischer Rundfunk Big Band (Frankfurt)
- Danmarks Radio big band (Copenhagen)
- UMO Jazz Orchestra (Helsinki)
- The Orchestra (Copenhagen)
- Klüvers Big Band (Aarhus)
- Det Norske Blåseensemble (Halden)
- Kristiansand Blåseensemble
- Forsvarets Stabsmusikkorps (Oslo)
- Kongelige Norske Marines Musikkorps (Horten)
- Forsvarets Musikkorps Vestlandet Bergen
- Luftforsvarets Musikkorps (Trondheim)
- Forsvarets Musikkorps Nord-Norge Harstad
- Trondheim Jazz Orchestra
Geir Lysne Listening Ensemble
- 2003: Korall (ACT)
- 2002: Aurora Borealis Northern Lights (ACT)
- 2006: Boahjenásti The North Star (ACT)
Geir Lysne Ensemble
- 2009: The Grieg Code (ACT)
Geir Lysne New Circle
- 2013: New Circle (ACT)
- 1993: Shaken - Not Stirred (Curling Legs), within Palisander Kvartetten
- 2003: Heaven (ACT) Christof Lauer & Norwegian Brass
- 2003: Bollani Big Band (Verve/Universal)