born on 7/3/1948 in Barcelona, Cataluña, Spain
died on 23/11/2011 in Barcelona, Cataluña, Spain
Montserrat Figueras i García (Catalan: [munsrat fies i rsi.]; 1942-2011) was a Catalan soprano who specialized in early music.
Figueras was born 15 March 1942 in Barcelona, Spain. After initially training as an actress, in 1966 she began studying early singing techniques together with her sister Pilar Figueras and developed an approach and technique for singing early music which combined historical fidelity with vitality.
In 1974 she and Jordi Savall, her husband since 1968, Lorenzo Alpert and Hopkinson Smith formed Hespèrion XX, an early music ensemble. Figueras and her husband were members of a newer version of that ensemble, Hespèrion XXI. They also founded the groups La Capella Reial de Catalunya and Le Concert des Nations.
- Muere la soprano Montserrat Figueras, La Vanguardia, 23/11/2011
- Notice of Figueras' death with 1942 year of birth
- Official website of Montserrat Figueras, Jordi Savall and Hespèrion XXI
- Montserrat Figueras - Telegraph
- Lawrence-King, Andrew (7 December 2011). "Montserrat Figueras obituary: Catalan soprano and specialist in baroque and earlier music". Guardian, accessed 22 March 2012.
- Notice of her death, at Alia Vox, her recording label
- Mor la soprano Montserrat Figueras
- El funeral de Montserrat Figueras, La Vanguardia, 23/11/2011
- In Memoriam Montserrat Figueras (at Alia Vox website)