born on 6/5/1971 in Santa Barbara, CA, United States
|Birth name||Christopher Aubrey Shiflett|
|Born||May 06 1971|
|Origin||Santa Barbara, California, USA|
|Genres||Alternative rock, punk rock, post-grunge|
|Associated acts||Foo Fighters, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, No Use for a Name, Jackson United, Viva Death, The Real McCoy, Chris Shiflett & the Dead Peasants|
Christopher Aubrey "Chris" Shiflett (born May 6, 1971 in Santa Barbara, California) is best known as the lead guitarist for the rock band Foo Fighters. He is the younger brother of musician Scott Shiflett.
Shiflett joined Foo Fighters after the release of their third album, There Is Nothing Left to Lose. The first album he played on was One by One. Prior to joining the Foo Fighters, Shiflett was resident lead guitarist for the San Francisco Bay Area punk rock band No Use for a Name. The Foo Fighters had lost both of their previous guitarists, Pat Smear (who played in punk legends The Germs and had been Nirvana's touring guitarist) and his Foos replacement, Dave Grohl's former Scream bandmate Franz Stahl, and were holding open auditions. Seeing an opportunity that he knew he could not pass up, he quickly parted ways with his former band to audition.
His departure was abrupt, as No Use for a Name were just about to head out on tour in support of their then-recent album More Betterness!. He was replaced by Dave Nassie, who had previously contributed to Suicidal Tendencies lead singer "Cyco" Mike Muir's solo projects. Shiflett began his music career in another band called Lost Kittenz with current members of Sugarcult. He also currently plays in the punk rock cover band Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, his own side-project, Jackson United as well as Viva Death with his brother Scott. For numerous projects, Shiflett performed under the name Jake Jackson.
Shiflett, after being in cover band Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, has a tattoo on the inside of his bottom lip with the words "Gimme Gimme".
In 2009 Shiflett played in a band called The Real McCoy, which was founded by Andy McCoy, the guitarist of the former Finnish rock band Hanoi Rocks. The band split up after only three gigs.
In 2010 Shiflett created a new country-oriented side project, Chris Shiflett & the Dead Peasants, releasing a self-titled album in July.
Shiflett is married and has three sons, Liam John, Dashell Ellis and Eamon Riley.
Shiflett uses various Gibsons, and Gretschs.
- Gretsch Brian Setzer Black Phoenix
- Gretsch 59 Nashville reissue
- Gibson ES-135
- Gibson ES-347
- Gibson ES-335
- Gibson SG Custom
- Gibson Les Paul Custom
- Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
- Gibson Les Paul Junior
- Gibson Firebird
- Fender Telecaster
- Martin Acoustic guitar
- BOSS BF-2 Flanger
- BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus
- BOSS DD-3 Digital Delay
- BOSS TU-2 Chromatic Tuner / Power Supply
- Dunlop CryBaby Wah
- Whirlwind A/B Selector
- Mesa Boogie Road King
- Marshall JMP 100Watt Master Volume Head
- Mesa Boogie Straight 4x12 Cabinet
- Savage Blitz 50Watt Combo 2x12
- See also: Me First and the Gimme Gimmes discography and Foo Fighters discography
- 1997: No Use for a Name - Making Friends
- 1997: Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Have a Ball
- 1998: Swingin' Utters - Five Lessons Learned (lead guitar on "I Need Feedback" and "United 21")
- 1998: Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Are a Drag
- 2001: Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Blow in the Wind
- 2002: Foo Fighters - One by One
- 2003: Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Take a Break
- 2004: Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah
- 2005: Foo Fighters - In Your Honor
- 2006: Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Love Their Country
- 2006: Viva Death - One Percent Panic
- 2007: Jesse Malin - Glitter In The Gutter (additional guitar on "Prisoners Of Paradise")
- 2007: Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
- 2008: Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Have Another Ball
- 2008: Jackson United - Harmony and Dissidence
- 2010: Chris Shiflett & the Dead Peasants - Chris Shiflett & the Dead Peasants
- () "The Real McCoy split up" yle.fi
- Musicianfriend - Chris Shiflett
- Gibson - How to Capture Chris Shifletts Foo Fighters Guitar Tone
- Gretsch Guitars - Chris Shiffet
- Guitar Geek - Chris Shiflett
| Dave Grohl Chris Shiflett Nate Mendel Taylor Hawkins
Franz Stahl Pat Smear William Goldsmith
Studio albums: Foo Fighters The Colour and the Shape There Is Nothing Left to Lose One by One In Your Honor Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Singles: "This Is a Call" "I'll Stick Around" "For All the Cows" "Big Me" "Monkey Wrench" "Everlong" "My Hero" "Walking After You" "Learn to Fly" "Stacked Actors" "Generator" "Breakout" "Next Year" "The One" "All My Life" "Times Like These" "Low" "Have It All" "Best of You" "DOA" "Resolve" "No Way Back/Cold Day in the Sun" "Miracle" "The Pretender"
EPs: Five Songs and a Cover
Live albums: Skin and Bones
Live DVD's: Everywhere But Home Skin and Bones
Nirvana Sunny Day Real Estate The Germs Scream Probot Queens of the Stone Age Taylor Hawkins and the Coattail Riders The Fire Theft Jackson United Me First and the Gimme Gimmes Late! No Use for a Name
|Me First and the Gimme Gimmes|
Spike Slawson · Fat Mike · Chris Shiflett · Joey Cape · Dave Raun|
Brian Baker · Scott Shiflett · Eric Melvin
|Studio albums||Have a Ball · Are a Drag · Blow in the Wind · Take a Break · Love Their Country|
|Live albums||Ruin Jonny's Bar Mitzvah|
|Compilation albums||Have Another Ball|
|Related articles||Discography · Lagwagon · NOFX · Foo Fighters · Swingin' Utters · Fat Wreck Chords|
|No Use for a Name|