born on 16/4/1942 in Castiglione dei Pepoli, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Leo Nucci (born 16 April 1942) is an Italian operatic baritone, particularly suited to Verdi roles.
Born at Castiglione dei Pepoli, near Bologna, he studied with Giuseppe Marchese and made his stage debut in Spoleto, as Figaro in Il barbiere di Siviglia, in 1967, he then joined the chorus of La Scala in Milan, and made his solo debut there in 1975, again as Figaro.
Nucci's career quickly took an international turn with his debut at the Royal Opera House in London, as Miller in Luisa Miller, in 1978, and at the Metropolitan Opera in New York, as Renato/Ankarström in Un ballo in maschera, in 1980. Renato was also his debut role at the Paris Opéra in 1981, and the Salzburg Festival in 1989, under Herbert Von Karajan. His career is remembered for famous performances in the opera world, including works with Luciano Pavarotti, Joan Sutherland, Plácido Domingo and others.
His repertoire encompasses the entire Italian repertory from bel canto to verismo, but his sonorous voice, secure technique and dramatic abilities are best displayed in Verdi – notably as Rigoletto, Macbeth, Count di Luna, Giorgio Germont, Rodrigo, Amonasro, Iago, and Falstaff. He has sung the role of Rigoletto alone more than 400 times.
On June 06, 2003 Leo Nucci scintillated at the 3. Herbert von Karajan memorial concert under the baton of conductor James Allen Gähres in Congress-Centrum Ulm, together with the singers Stella Grigorian and Vera Schoenberg with Italian opera arias and duets.
In January 2016 he performed at La Scala of Milan as Rigoletto in Rigoletto with Nadine Sierra as Gilda.
Nucci has enjoyed a long and successful career and is still active.
He is married to soprano Adriana Anelli, with whom he has a daughter.
- Video on YouTube
- Official Herbert von Karajan - online archive 3. Herbert von Karajan Gedächtniskonzert Retrieved May 24, 2016
- Eduardo Lamberti Castronuovo (January 13, 2016). "Scala, Leo Nucci (Rigoletto) e la giovane Nadine Sierra (Gilda) subissati di richieste di bis dal pubblico" (in Italian). video.corriere.it. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- "Scala, pubblico in visibilio per la prima del Rigoletto. Concesso il bis chiesto a gran voce" (in Italian). rainews.it. January 14, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2016.
- Grove Music Online, Elizabeth Forbes, May 2008
- Official website
- Streamopera.com/Leo Nucci