born on 22/5/1970
Links www.benningtonjazz.com (English)
James Arnold Bennington (born May 22, 1970 in Columbus, Ohio) is an American jazz drummer and avant-garde musician based in Chicago, Illinois.
Adopted at the age of two, Bennington was raised in Detroit, Michigan until 1979 when his family moved to Houston, Texas. He began music studies on clarinet while attending MacGregor Elementary School, playing the instrument for three years. Switching to drums at age fourteen, Bennington's education has come from private study, marching and concert bands throughout Middle and High School, work as a sideman, and as a band leader with his group Colour and Sound.
A largely self-taught musician, his early experiences include jazz and blues sessions in Texas that afforded him opportunities to learn from several veterans including Kinney Abair, Tex Allen, and G.T. Hogan. During this period, Billy Harper drummer Malcolm Pinson became a friend and mentor, eventually using Jimmy as a substitute when he was away. Bennington has also been privileged to learn from legendary John Coltrane drummer Elvin Jones. In addition to eight years of study with Jones beginning in 1995, Bennington served as band manager and drum tech, from 2000-2002, touring the U.S. and Europe.
Based in Chicago, after long residences in Texas (1990-1998) and the West Coast (1998-2006), Bennington performs in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and South America. He has played and recorded with a diverse array of artists from the Jazz and Improvised music communities, including clarinetist Perry Robinson, violinist Renee Baker( AACM, Nicole Mitchell's Black Earth Ensemble), pianists David Haney, Jim Baker, Steve Cohn, and Pete Drungle, trombonists Julian Priester, Michael Vlatkovich, and Jeb Bishop, saxophonists Daniel Carter, Bert Wilson, John Gross, and Fred Jackson (AACM), cornetist Josh Berman, trumpeter Demian Richardson, guitarists John Stowell, Bill Horist, and Ava Mendosa, bassists Ed Schuller, Brian Smith, and Sun Ra Arkestra electric bassist Rollo Radford.
Bennington has been a featured performer at the 30th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival, Fred Anderson's Velvet Lounge, and the Tampon-Ramier Gallery in Paris.
In 2005, Bennington was included in the Encyclopedia of Jazz Musicians (compiled by Lewis Porter, Rutgers University).
In 2007, his recording "Portraits and Silhouettes" ThatSwan! Records received an Honorable Mention from AllAboutJazz- New York's Best Recordings of 2007.
In 2008, he was signed by Cadence Jazz Records and the CIMP label in New York.
Featured on the cover issue of Oct/ Nov/ Dec 2010 Cadence Jazz Magazine.
Bennington is also a freelance writer and has been published in Modern Drummer Magazine (October 2005/ December 2006), Jazz Profile (2006-2008), Cadence Jazz and Blues Review (2006-).
- Contemplation, (1998) Liner notes by Delfeayo Marsalis, ThatSwan! Records 1000
- Midnight Choir, (2003) OA2 Records 22007
- Our Dialogue, Live at the Tugboat, vol. V (2004) - CD/DVD, ThatSwan! Records 1003
- "Jazz Kaleidoscope; solo drums live (2005), ThatSwan! Records 1004
- "Portraits and Silhouettes" Featuring Julian Priester (2005), ThatSwan! Records 1005
- Another Friend; The Music Of Herbie Nichols (2005), ThatSwan! Records 1006
- "The Spirits at Belle's" Jimmy Bennington/ Perry Robinson Quartet (2009), Cadence Jazz Records 1219
- "Symbols Strings and Magic" Featuring Perry Robinson/ Ed Schuller (2010) CIMP 379
- Gold, Jack; "Meet Drummer Jimmy Bennington", All About Jazz, April, 2005
- Dupont, David; "Jimmy Bennington - Our Dialogue + Midnight Choir", One Final Note Review, July 2005
- DeLaurenti, Chris ; "James Bennington", The Stranger, Seattle, Washington, February 9, 2006
- "Jimmy Bennington/Julian Priester - Portraits and Silhouettes", All About Jazz New York, October 2007
- Porter, Lewis; Encyclopedia of Jazz Musicians compiled by at Rutgers University, 2007
- Reich, Howard ; "Priester Returns to the South Side Full of Adventure", Chicago Tribune, July 8, 2007
- Kremsky, Stuart; "Portraits and Silhouettes - Jimmy Bennington/ Julian Priester", Cadence, April May June 2008
- Art Lange; "Symbols Strings and Magic" CIMP 379 Review, May 2010
- Cadence Jazz Magazine; "Jimmy Bennington Interview", Taken and Transcribed by Richard Lang, Oct/ Nov/ Dec 2010
- Artist's web site
- Encyclopedia of Jazz Musicians
- Who's Who Chicago
- Midnight Choir / Our Dialogue Review
- All About Jazz Interview with Jimmy Bennington