born on 7/1/1972
Tom Simpson (musician)
|Tom Simpson (musician)|
Tom Simpson (born 7 January 1972) is a Scottish DJ and musician, best known as the keyboardist of the alternative rock band Snow Patrol. He has been with Snow Patrol as a touring member since 1997 and became a permanent one in 2005.
Tom Simpson attended Monifieth High School in Angus, Scotland. He went to the art school in the University of Dundee, the Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, and has a degree in drawing and painting.
He had no musical leanings as a youngster, and always had aspirations of being a scratch/mix DJ. He started deejaying when he was about 17, and used to run a few clubs in Dundee, in whose university Gary Lightbody studied at the time. Lightbody used to visit one of these clubs, and met Simpson one day, and the two ended up becoming friends. Simpson, at the time did not know Lightbody was in a band. However, one day, Lightbody invited him to the university to watch Snow Patrol (his band) play a concert. Simpson liked the band's show, and felt they had "potential" and "a lot of soul". Lightbody was relieved, and said that the band would like him to do synthesizers and turn table effects for their first album Songs for Polarbears. He did, and later got invited to go on tour with the band. He felt happy at the opportunity, as he was finding himself at "crossroads" in his own life. Since, he has been with Snow Patrol.
Simpson started to play keyboards in his late 20s, and in around 2006, finally took lessons in classical piano at the insistence of a friend. He finds the lessons interesting and challenging. He has said that after the years he was with Snow Patrol, he realized that he had become a musician, despite having no intentions to become so. He was declared an official member of the band when bassist Paul Wilson was recruited into the band, after founder Mark McClelland was fired. As a musician Tom Simpson plays piano, keyboards, a monitor mixer, and professional instrumental mixing of effects (recording music and application in live shows).
His previous experiences as a DJ included playing at The Spaceship, Skoolin' and The Phat Clinic which were held at the old Coffee Bar at Duncan of Jordanstone College. His nights at The Spaceship were done in partnership with friends Nick DeCosemo and Anu Pillai (of the band Freeform Five), Lightbody and Roy Kerr. He still follows his passion as DJ in British clubs outside Snow Patrol, often in partnership with his friend and band mate Gary Lightbody under the moniker Snow Patrol DJs or SP DJs, and with Dave Bowie from the Autodisco DJs.
Simpson was accused of possessing Class A drugs in Glasgow in June 2006. He was arrested on 7 July 2007 in RAF Northolt, Middlesex, which put the band's headlining set the next day (at T in the Park) in jeopardy. He was held at London's Heathrow Airport, mere hours after the band played at Live Earth, which made him miss the Oxegen 2007 performance that night. The band had started searching for a replacement for Simpson, who however, was released in time to play at T in the Park. All charges against him and a friend were later dropped.
Tom currently lives in Monifieth Scotland. Outside of his passion for music he enjoys playing golf and when off tour he can be found playing on the town's course. Tom is also an avid supporter of Dundee Football Club. Although his occupation has brought him to public notice he endeavors to maintain his privacy.
- Angus Council - Schools by region A-Z. The Scotsman (23 April 2008). Retrieved on 2009-10-31.
- 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Short biography. Ticketmaster. Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Interview: Tom Simpson from Snow Patrol. PlugInMusic.com (7 July 2006). Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Snow Patrol Late Night Tales. Skiddle. Retrieved on 5 September 2009.
- Brown, Tom (31 March 2005). New patrol member. snowpatrol.com. Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Barrie, Stuart (24 August 2007). The DJ Q & A - Freeform Five. Daily Record. Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- From small beginnings .... Evening Telegraph. Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Sun, Sunday (17 October 2004). Five out of four's a top score. Sunday Sun. Retrieved on 2009-11-01.
- Drug charges against Snow Patrol star dropped. ITN. Retrieved on 2009-11-04.
- McAleese, Deborah (9 July 2007). Chasing stars at Snow Patrol's rock weekend. The Belfast Telegraph. Retrieved on 2009-10-31.
- Snow Patrol just make T after arrest. Metro (9 July 2007). Retrieved on 10 October 2009.
- Snow Patrol official website
|Gary Lightbody | Paul Wilson | Jonny Quinn | Nathan Connolly | Tom Simpson|
|Studio albums: Songs for Polarbears | When It's All Over We Still Have to Clear Up | Final Straw | Eyes Open|
|Extended plays: | Starfighter Pilot | Live and Acoustic at Park Ave.|
|Singles: "Little Hide" | "One Hundred Things You Should Have Done in Bed" | "Velocity Girl/Absolute Gravity" | "Starfighter Pilot/Remixes" | "Ask Me How I Am" | "One Night Is Not Enough" | "Spitting Games" | "Run" | "Chocolate" | "How to Be Dead" | "You're All I Have" | "Hands Open" | "Chasing Cars" | "Set the Fire to the Third Bar" | "Open Your Eyes"|