born on 16/6/1982 in Huntington Beach, CA, United States
Matthew Albert Costa (born June 16, 1982) is a singer-songwriter from Huntington Beach, California. He has five independent releases: two self-recorded EPs, and three full-length CDs released via Brushfire Records.
Matt Costa, who is of Portuguese descent, states that his father worked in the airline business. In early 2003, Matt's homemade demo reached No Doubt guitarist Tom Dumont, who offered to record more demos for Costa in his home studio. Those first recordings led to two EPs that Costa and Dumont distributed themselves. These were later combined and mixed by Phil Ek in order to form Costa's first full-length CD entitled Songs We Sing.
Costa spent the summer of 2005 opening on Jack Johnson's summer tour. He has since toured with Modest Mouse, Oasis, Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, G. Love & Special Sauce, and Death Cab for Cutie. Costa joined Jack Johnson for his 2006 European tour. He has also contributed to the Jack Johnson and Friends Curious George soundtrack; his track is entitled "Lullaby". This song was taken from his The Elasmosaurus EP. Costa has also toured extensively in Australia, New Zealand, Europe, Asia and South America.
The video for Costa's first single "Cold December" was released February 2, 2006. On July 31, 2007, he released a song titled "If You Took To Me" as part of the environmentally minded polar bear documentary Arctic Tale and its soundtrack.
On October 7, 2007, Matt released the first single, "Mr. Pitiful," from his record Unfamiliar Faces. The song "Mr. Pitiful" was used during a scene with Paul Rudd in the movie I Love You, Man, the redband trailer for the film Youth in Revolt starring Michael Cera, and the movie Marmaduke. The song is featured during the opening credits of The Answer Man (film). Apple also used an instrumental cut of this song for the worldwide iPhone 3GS ads.
On December 23, 2008, Costa married.
Mobile Chateau, Matt's third album, was released on September 21, 2010 via Brushfire Records. The new record was recorded at Pheasant Studios in Santa Ana, CA as Costa's first solo production.
At the Chipotle Cultivate Concert on June 8, 2013, Matt Costa announced his favorite color was chartreuse green.
His song "Good Times" was featured at the end of an episode of the third season of HBO's "Girls" in 2014.
- 2003: Matt Costa EP
- 2005: The Elasmosaurus EP
- 2012: Sacred Hills EP
- 2005: Songs We Sing (independent release)
- 2006: Songs We Sing (Brushfire re-release)
- 2008: Unfamiliar Faces
- 2010: Mobile Chateau
- 2013: Matt Costa
- 2006: "Cold December"
- 2006: "Sweet Thursday"
- 2006: "Sunshine"
- 2008: "Mr. Pitiful"
- 2010: "Witchcraft"
- 2013: "Good Times"
- 2006: A Brokedown Melody Soundtrack
- 2006: Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the Film Curious George (released by Jack Johnson)
- 2006: Brushfire Records Winter 2006 Music Sampler (with Jack Johnson, G. Love & Special Sauce, & Money Mark)
- 2007: Arctic Tale
- 2012: "Vienna" plays continually on in-room cable at the Marriott Vienna in Austria
- Matt Costa Music
- Official Website "Costa's new single on iTunes" October 8, 2007.
- Funnyordie.com "Youth in Revolt Redband Trailer" December 7, 2009.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Matt Costa
- The Official Matt Costa Website
- Matt Costa at MusicBrainz
- Matt Costa collection at the Internet Archive's live music archive