born on 21/4/1974 in New York City, NY, United States
Alias Earl Cooke Jr.
Michael Leonhart (born April 21, 1974, New York, New York) is a noted trumpet player, producer, multi-instrumentalist, composer, arranger and singer-songwriter. He has performed with such diverse artists as Steely Dan, Yoko Ono, Bobby McFerrin, and Mos Def.
In 1992 Michael was honored with the first Grammy Award for outstanding high school musician in the US. At the time, he was the youngest Grammy recipient to date. He was 17 years old. In February of that same year ABC World News named him "Person of the Week."
As a solo artist Leonhart has released six albums. He has composed and performed music for movies, television, dance, fashion shows and theater, and has appeared on over 100 albums.
Michael has performed with Steely Dan since 1996, recording two albums with them, including 2000's Grammy winning Album of the Year Two Against Nature on which he was a featured soloist, arranger and conductor. He is also co-producer of Donald Fagen's fourth solo album Sunken Condos released in 2012. Over his career he has performed and/or recorded with such diverse artists as A Tribe Called Quest, Arif Mardin, Arto Linsday, Bill Frisell, Bill Withers, Bobby McFerrin, Bonnie Raitt, Brian Eno, Busta Rhymes, Caetano Veloso, D.J. Spooky, David Byrne, Henry Mancini, James Brown, John Barry, Joshua Redman, Lenny Kravitz, Levon Helm, Mark Ronson, Michael McDonald, Mos Def, Natalie Merchant, Q-Tip, Raekwon (Wutang Clan), Slash (Guns and Roses/ Velvet Revolver), Steven Tyler (Aerosmith), Todd Rundgren, and Wynton Marsalis.
Most recently, Michael recorded with Yoko Ono as a featured member of The Plastic Ono Band for her upcoming album, Between My Head and the Sky. Michael also appears on upcoming albums by Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, Foreigner, Sean Lennon, and Yuka Honda (Cibo Matto).
Michael performed with the rock band Phish at their Halloween Night concert in 2010 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ, as part of a backing horn section for the Vermont band's rendition of Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus double album.
Michael Leonhart & the Avramina 7
After 40 plus recordings as the house trumpet player for Truth and Soul Records, the Brooklyn-based funk and soul label released Leonhart's heavy-funk concept album Seahorse and the Storyteller in 2009.
Michael Leonhart is the son of Jay Leonhart, noted jazz bassist, and the brother of Carolyn Leonhart, vocalist. Michael is currently living in New York City with his wife, jazz singer-songwriter Jamie Leonhart, and their son Milo Quincy Leonhart.
- Aardvark Poses (1995), Sunnyside Records
- Glub Glub vol. 11 (1997), Sunnyside Records
- Slow (2002), Sunnyside Records
- The Suzy Lattimore EP (2005)
- The Ballad of Minton Quigley (2006)
- Hotel Music (2008), St. Ives - Limited Edition Vinyl
- Seahorse & the Storyteller (2010), Truth and Soul Records
- Michael Leonhart. Michael Leonhart. Retrieved on 2011-04-25.
- Hevesi, Dennis, Grammy for High School Jazz: A Serious Swinger, NY Times, 1992-02-26. URL accessed on 2010-02-04.
- Person of The Week (Michael Leonhart) - Feb 28, 1992 - ABC - TV news: Vanderbilt Television News Archive. Tvnews.vanderbilt.edu (1992-02-28). Retrieved on 2011-04-25.
- Michael Leonhart Discography at Discogs. Discogs.com. Retrieved on 2011-04-25.
- Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band | IMAGINE PEACE. Yopob.com (1970-12-11). Retrieved on 2011-04-25.
- Michael Leonhart Discography. Michael Leonhart Discography. Retrieved on 16 September 2011.
- Holden, Stephen, The Bass Art of Nukular Versification, NY Times, 2010-01-14. URL accessed on 2010-02-01.
- Official Site
- [Michael Leonhart at All Music Guide www.allmusic.com]