born on 21/6/1950 in Bronx, NY, United States
Joseph Michael Kramer (born June 21, 1950) is the American drummer for the hard rock band Aerosmith.
Life and career
Kramer was born in The Bronx, New York City, the son of Doris and Mickey Kramer, a businessman. His memoir, Hit Hard: A Story of Hitting Rock Bottom at the Top, was released on June 30, 2009. Kramer is credited with originating the name Aerosmith. In his memoir, Kramer revealed that he idly conceived the name Aerosmith while listening to Harry Nilsson's album Aerial Ballet in 1968, two years before the band was formed. Kramer insists that there is no connection between the name "Aerosmith" and Sinclair Lewis' novel Arrowsmith. Shortly before joining Aerosmith Kramer worked with Chubby & The Turnpikes (later to be known as Tavares) alongside Bernie Worrell. He made a guest appearance in the 22nd season of The Simpsons, in the episode "The Ned-Liest Catch", as a former partner of Bart's teacher Mrs. Krabappel, as told in the third-season episode Flaming Moe's, which featured the whole of Aerosmith, the first-ever band to guest star on the show. In 2015, Kramer tweeted about how he had been made into a Simpsons action figure.
In June 2011, Kramer did a fan Q&A and revealed his open-mindedness to outside writers, stating he does not care about it as long as it's all five members of Aerosmith playing the material written.
In 2013, Kramer announced his new partnership with Comfort Foods, Inc. who now will roast, package and distribute his whole bean, organic coffee line: Rockin’ & Roastin’ Coffee.
In 2015, he announced a business partnership with Les Otten, the former vice chairman of the Boston Red Sox, to open two Joey Kramer's Rockin’ & Roastin’ Café and Restaurant. The first restaurant is located in Newry, Maine at the foot of the Sunday River Ski Resort, the second restaurant located in North Attleborough, Massachusetts.
Aerosmith songs written
The following Aerosmith songs have a writing credit given to Kramer:
- "Pandora's Box" from Get Your Wings
- "Kings and Queens" from Draw the Line
- "The Hand That Feeds" from Draw The Line
- "The Hop" from Done With Mirrors
- "The Movie" from Permanent Vacation
- "Krawhitham" from Pandora's Box
- "Beautiful" from Music From Another Dimension!
- "Lover Alot" from Music From Another Dimension!
- "Can't Stop Lovin' You" from Music From Another Dimension!
- "Closer" from Music From Another Dimension!
Kramer uses Zildjian cymbals and sticks, Ludwig drums and Remo heads. In 2014, he became an endorser of Pearl Drums.
- 14" A Mastersound Hi Hats (Brilliant)
- 19" A Custom Crash
- 18" A Armand Medium Thin Crash
- 21" A Mega Bell Ride
- 19" A Custom Projection Crash
- 14" A Custom Rezo Hi Hats
- 20" A Custom Crash
Current cymbal setup:
- 14" A new beat hi-hats
- 19" A custom projection crash
- 20" A crash/ride
- 21" A mega bell bell ride
- 15" A new beat hi-hats
- 20" A custom projection ride
- 19" K custom hybrid china
Joey Kramer Signature kit in Orange Sparkle Lacquer with White Powder-Coated hardware
- 14" X 24" Bass drum
- 9" X 13" Tom
- 16" X 16" Floor tom
- 16" X 18" Floor tom
- 6.5" X 14" Joey Kramer Signature Snare drum
- Pearl Crystal Beat series drums
- "The latest Boston, local and national news". Boston.com. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- Graff, Gary (June 30, 2009). "Aerosmith Drummer Pens Hard-Hitting Book". Billboard. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on December 10, 2015. Retrieved December 8, 2015.
- "Rocker turned coffee mogul opens the dorors to coffeehouse in N. Attleborough, MA". Retrieved July 22, 2016.
- "Pearl Welcomes Joey Kramer". Pearl Drums. April 2, 2014. Retrieved September 11, 2014.