Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis
born on 2/3/1922 in New York City, NY, United States
died on 3/11/1986 in Culver City, CA, United States
Eddie Davis (saxophonist)
|Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis|
|Birth name||Edward Davis|
|Born||March 2 1922|
|Origin||New York City, United States|
|Died||November 3 1986 (aged 64)|
|Genres||Jazz, soul jazz|
|Associated acts|| Johnny Griffin
Edward Davis (March 2, 1922–November 3, 1986), who performed and recorded as Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis, was an American jazz tenor saxophonist.
He played with Cootie Williams, Lucky Millinder, Andy Kirk, Louis Armstrong, and Count Basie, as well as leading his own bands and making many recordings as a leader. He played in the swing, bop, hard bop, Latin jazz, and soul jazz genres. Some of his recordings of the 1940s also could be classified as rhythm and blues.
In the 1950s he was playing with Sonny Stitt, while from 1960 to 1962 he and fellow tenor saxophonist Johnny Griffin led a quintet. From the mid-60s, Davis and Griffin also performed together as part of The Kenny Clarke-Francy Boland Big Band, along with other, mainly European, jazz musicians.
Eddie can be heard playing on the 1973 CBS album "Ella Fitzgerald at the Newport Jazz Festival Live at Carnegie Hall" on the song Young Man with a Horn.
It is claimed that Davis's playing influenced profoundly that of contemporary jazz pianist Harry Gibson.
- Cookbook, Vol.1,2, 1958, OJC, Prestige, with Shirley Scott (org), George Duvivier (b), Arthur Edgehill (dr), Jerome Richardson (fl)
- Trane Whistle 1960
- Tough Tenors 1960, with Johnny Griffin, Junior Mance (p), Ben Riley (dr), Larry Gales (b), MPS Records
- Blues Up And Down 1961, with Johnny Griffin
- Live at Mintons 1961, Prestige, with Griffin, Mance, Riley
- Streetlights 1962, with Don Patterson (org)
- Sax No End 1967, with Johnny Griffin, Francy Boland (arrangements)
- Tough Tenors Again 'n' Again 1970, with Johnny Griffin
- Montreux '77, 1977
- Jazz at the Philharmonic, 1983
- Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis at Discogs.com
- Overview of Davis' contributions to jazz
- Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis performing with The Count Basie Orchestra.
- List of tunes Davis has played on, at MTV.com