born on 12/4/1973 in Sioux City, IA, United States
Ryan Kisor (born April 12, 1973) is an American jazz trumpeter.
A native of Sioux City, Iowa, Kisor learned trumpet from his father, Larry Kisor, and started playing in a local dance band (the Eddie Skeets Orchestra) at age ten. Kisor began classical trumpet lessons at age 12, met Clark Terry when he was 15 (attending his summer jazz camp), and played with all-star high school bands. In 1990, Kisor won the Thelonious Monk Institute's trumpet contest at the age of 17; Nicholas Payton and Marcus Printup were among the other contestants that year.
Following this he was signed by Columbia Records, who released his first two albums, 1992's Minor Mutiny and 1993's On the One. Following this, Kisor entered the Manhattan School of Music, where he was a student of Lew Soloff among others. He has played in New York with the Mingus Big Band and the Michel Camilo Big Band, with Gerry Mulligan, Wynton Marsalis, Wycliffe Gordon, Horace Silver and Walter Blanding. Since 1994 he has been a member of the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, and has released many albums as a bandleader.
- Minor Mutiny with Ravi Coltrane and Jeff Siegel, 1992
- On the One with Christian McBride, Mulgrew Miller, Lewis Nash, Chris Potter, David Sanchez, Mark Turner, 1993
- Dragon Fly with Gerry Mulligan, Telarc 83337, 1995
- Battle Cry with Peter Bernstein, Brian Blade, Sam Yahel, 1997
- Stick to the Kick with Melvin Rhyne, Criss Cross 1137, 1997
- Usual Suspects with Willie Jones III, John Webber, Peter Zak, 1998
- Point of Arrival with Willie Jones III, John Webber, Peter Zak, 1998
- Power Source with James Genus, Gene Jackson, Chris Potter, 1999
- Kisor, 2000
- Kisor II, 2001
- The Dream with Eric Alexander, Willie Jones III, Renato Thoms, John Webber, Peter Zak, 2001
- Awakening with Peter Bernstein, Willie Jones III, Grant Stewart, Sam Yahel, 2002
- The Sidewinder, 2003
- Donna Lee, 2004
- This Is Ryan with Jason Paul Brown, Grant Stewart, John Webber, Peter Zak, 2005
- [Ryan Kisor at All Music Guide Ryan Kisor] at Allmusic
Yanow, S. (2001). Trumpet Kings. In S. Yanow, Trumpet Kings (p. 222). San Francisco: Backbeat Books