born on 13/6/1970 in Columbia, SC, United States
Ronald Kenneth Westray, Jr. (b. June 13, 1970 in Columbia, South Carolina) is an American jazz trombonist, composer, and educator. He holds a B.A. from South Carolina State University and a Master of Arts degree from Eastern Illinois University. He has played with Marcus Roberts, the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra (since its inception in 1993), and has been a regular member of the Mingus Big Band. In 2005 he joined the faculty of the University of Texas at Austin. In 2009 he was appointed to the Oscar Peterson Chair in jazz performance at York University.
- "Ron Westray/Thomas Heflin Live From Austin." Blue Canoe Records. 2011.
- "Medical Cures for the Chromatic Commands of the Inner City." Blue Canoe Records. 2008.
- "Westray Digs In." New Jazz Renaissance Records. 2002.
With Wycliffe Gordon
- Wycliffe Gordon & Ron Westray: Bone Structure (Atlantic Jazz).1996
- Official website
- Ron Westray, Oscar Peterson Chair in Jazz Performance, York University