born on 26/8/1941 in Boston, MA, United States
died on 26/11/1999 in London, England, United Kingdom
Clifford Jarvis (August 26, 1941 – November 26, 1999) was an American hard bop and free jazz drummer, who in the 1980s moved to London, England, where he died.
Clifford Jarvis, the son of Malcom “Shorty” Jarvis was born in Boston, Massachusetts,where he studied at Berklee College of Music in the 1950s.
Moving to New York City, he established himself in jazz between 1959 and 1966 by recording with Chet Baker, Randy Weston, Yusef Lateef, Freddie Hubbard, Barry Harris, Jackie McLean, and Elmo Hope, and playing with Grant Green and Rahsaan Roland Kirk.
Clifford also recorded with organist John Patton on the Blue Note album That Certain Feeling (1968).
During the 1980s, Jarvis moved to Britain, where he played with upcoming musicians such as Courtney Pine and worked in music education at Chats Palace Arts Centre in London among other places until his death. He was senior drum tutor at Pyramid Arts Development, Dalston, from 1984 to 1994.
- 1986: Little Red Moon (Soul Note)
With Chet Baker
- Chet Baker Plays the Best of Lerner and Loewe (Riverside, 1959)
With Kenny Drew
- Ruby, My Dear (SteepleChase, 1977)
With Curtis Fuller
- Images of Curtis Fuller (Savoy, 1960)
With Barry Harris
- Newer Than New (Riverside, 1961)
- Chasin' the Bird (Riverside, 1962)
With Elmo Hope
- The Final Sessions (Evidence, 1966 )
With Freddie Hubbard
- Open Sesame (Blue Note, 1960)
- Hub-Tones (Blue Note, 1962)
- Blue Spirits (Blue Note, 1966)
With Jackie McLean
- Right Now! (Blue Note, 1965)
With Archie Shepp
- Little Red Moon (Soul Note, 1985)
- Splashes (L+R, 1987)
With Sonny Simmons
- Burning Spirits (Contemporary, 1971)
With Jukka Syrenius Band
- Memories of tomorrow"( Finland, TCH-LP1, 1983)
With Sun Ra
- When Sun Comes Out (Saturn, 1963)
- Nothing Is… (ESP, 1966)
With John Patton
- That Certain Feeling (Blue Note, 1968)
With Randy Weston
- Live at the Five Spot (United Artists, 1959)
With Harry Beckett
- Les Jardins Du Casino (ITM, 1993)
- Ron Wynn, "Clifford Jarvis", Allmusic.
- John Fordham, "Clifford Jarvis" (obituary)The Guardian, December 1, 1999.
- "Incendiary drummer and great teacher", The Scotsman, 1999.